- Interdisciplinary degree programme with innovative specializations in "Operating theatre engineering/Cardiovascular engineering" and "Biomedical Technologies"
- The engineer at the interface between medicine and technology with excellent career perspectives
- Technical medicine with further electives and specializations, e.g. biomechanics, emergency medicine, organ support systems, imaging methods
- Research and projects cooperation with hospitals and industry
- International student and teaching exchange
- Centre for applied simulation (ZAS) for training and research
- Accredited training centre for cardiotechnology of the European Board of Cardiovascular Perfusion (EBCP)
The programme places a high value on both medical and engineering knowledge, as well as on early exposure to application-oriented research topics and projects.
The seven-semester programme leads to the award of a Bachelor of Science degree.
The foundation level studies in the first and second semesters ensure that every student’s knowledge of natural sciences and medicine is brought up to the same level and that all students are prepared for specialized medical engineering applications.
Advanced level studies are spread over five semesters and include a practical study semester. They combine traditional engineering content with comprehensive study of medical device engineering. All areas of specialization are covered in lectures, practicals and project work at the university and in clinics.
The Medical Engineering programme is an accredited cardiovascular engineering training centre for the European Board of Cardiovascular Perfusion (EBCP).
The following specializations are possible after the integrated internship semester:
Operating theatre engineering/cardiovascular engineering
This specialization sets the standard in a completely new career field. In the hospital, engineers are the link between doctors and technology. They contribute to patient care, in the use of complex systems they advise doctors and equipment operators. The focus of this specialization is on technical understanding of operation devices and systems such as the heart-lung machine, and additional medical know-how is taught to provide the necessary qualification. In addition students have the opportunity to obtain the European Certificate of Cardiovascular Perfusion (ECCP).
Close cooperation with our partners in industry and in medical service centres guarantees a demanding educational programme with excellent career opportunities.
Medical engineering uses forward-looking technology and is one of the fastest-growing areas of engineering. Key technologies such as imaging processes, computer-aided communication technology and minimally invasive methods in surgery and cardiovascular technology are innovative fields of work.
The aim of the Medical Engineering degree programme is to train highly qualified, ethical, responsible engineers to work at the interface of medicine, humans and technology - engineering that serves humanity.
- Fundamentals of engineering, medicine and natural sciences
- Understanding of interdisciplinary aspects of medical engineering
- Understanding of the specific challenges at the interface between engineering and biological systems
- In-depth knowledge of typical devices and processes in medical engineering
- In-depth knowledge of quality management in medical engineering and medical product approvals
- Oral and written medical engineering communication skills
- Proficiency in English
- Ability to work independently
- Teamworking in an interdisciplinary environment
- Project-oriented working methods and project execution
- Knowledge of academic principles and practice
- Decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Ability to plan personal career
- Qualification to take higher academic degree
- Development of medical devices, implants and technical aids for diagnostics and therapy
- Operation and maintenance of medical technology devices and systems in hospitals
- Operation and setting up of heart-lung machines, artificial heart systems, heart pacemakers and other medical support systems
- Acting as intermediary at the interface between medicine and technology in industrial research and development
- Support in the medical product approval process for various products and markets
- Product management and technical specialization in medical outside sales