Planning your studies

Your path at HFU could look like this

to #studyingFUTURE

Your path to a university degree

Planning (I3375)

At HFU, we make the entire academic path possible, from the first enrolment on a bachelor's degree programme right up to a doctorate. The range of courses we offer is particularly diverse – whether its the very first course after graduating from high school, multilingual, part-time, dual or in an elite sports programme – with us, studying is flexible so that it suits your life!

Here we try to give you all the information you need in order to plan your course of study. However, if you have any further questions, we are happy to help. You can contact our Central Student Advisory Service at any time. Contact details are at the bottom of this page. 

Your studies at a glance

Semester dates

Winter Semester 2023/24

Lectures: Wednesday, 4 October 2023 - Fri, 26 January 2024

Exams: Monday, 29 January - Wednesday, 7 February 2024 and Thursday, 5 February - Friday, 23 February 2024

Lecture-free breaks: Saturday, 23 December 2023 - Saturday, 6 January 2024

Summer Semester 2024

Lectures: Monday, 18 March - Friday, 5 July 2024

Exams: Monday, 8 July - Friday, 26 July 2024

Lecture-free breaks: Tuesday, 2 April 2024, Tuesday, 21 May - Saturday, 25 May 2024

Winter Semester 2024/25

Lectures: Monday, 30 September 2024 - Friday, 24 January 2025

Exams: Monday, 27 January - Friday, 14 February 2025

Lecture-free breaks: Monday, 23 December 2024 - Monday, 6 January 2025

Foundation level studies

A bachelor's degree programme generally lasts seven semesters (standard period of study). The two-semester foundation courses consist of modules, successful completion of which demonstrates that students have acquired the basic content of the subject, a methodological toolkit and a systematic orientation.

Modules are made up of one or more courses. Examinations are usually taken at the end of the lecture period, during the three-week examination period. Some examinations to demonstrate successful participation in courses are taken during the lecture period. These can take various forms (e.g. written examination, laboratory work, presentations, etc.).

Advanced level studies

The five-semester advanced level course consists of further modules that consolidate studies. Advanced level studies also include the internship semester and the bachelor's thesis in the final semester.

Master's degree

A master's degree usually lasts three semesters. The master's thesis is written in the third semester. A practical semester is not planned.

Students with fewer than 210 ECTS from a previous degree programme, or no knowledge of a subject area specified as an entry requirement, must complete a preliminary semester. The modules are selected following a consultation.

Doctoral studies

At Furtwangen University we offer our students a continuous education – from bachelor's to master's to doctorate.

Numerous HFU graduates have continued their academic careers with a doctorate after completing their master's degree, and some are now even professors themselves. As a University of Applied Sciences, HFU offers various equivalent paths to a doctorate.

Internal link opens in the same window:More information on doctoral studies at HFU

Internship semester

One of the major differences between studying at a university and studying at a university of applied sciences such as HFU, is the integrated internship semester.

In our bachelor's degree programmes, a practical semester is a compulsory internship. The semester in which this takes place is decided individually in each degree programme.

The practical semester lasts six months. At least 95 working days are spent in a company. During the internship semester, students are supervised by a professor.

Semester abroad

Furtwangen University offers a variety of ways for you to go abroad. The Internal link opens in the same window:International Center will be happy to support you in planning this.

Internship semester abroad

If you would like to complete an internship semester abroad, you should start looking for a position early on. Every semester, the Internal link opens in the same window:International Center offers information events on the internship semester abroad. For financial support, you can apply for funding programmes such as the Auslands-BAföG or ERASMUS+.

HFU partner universities

HFU has over 150 partner universities worldwide. You can find information about the exchange places available for your faculty/degree programme (usually free of charge) in our External link opens in a new window:online database, where you can filter by degree programme and country. Students who participate in an HFU exchange programme must prepare a written feedback report.

Go abroad as a "Freemover"

If you don't get a place on the HFU exchange programme, or would like to go to a university that does not cooperate with HFU, you can apply directly to a university of your choice as a so-called "freemover". 

Our Buddy Programme

A good way to prepare for a stay abroad is to take part in the International Center's Buddy Programme. Here, language skills can be refreshed and intercultural skills acquired through contact with international students. Ideally, you should make contact with a visiting student from the partner university where you'd like to spend your semester abroad.

Language courses

Our School of Languages and Cultures (SLC) offers all members of Furtwangen University the opportunity to acquire, improve or deepen their foreign language and intercultural skills.

Internal link opens in the same window:More information about the School of Languages and Cultures

Tuition and semester fees

Semester fees

In addition to any tuition fees incurred, all students at Furtwangen University pay semester fees of €155 per semester.

These are made up of:

  • Administrative fee €70.00
  • Student services contribution (includes accident, personal liability and theft insurance on the university campus) €66.00
  • Student body contribution €19.00

Tuition fees for EU citizens

German and EU citizens do not pay tuition fees for bachelor's degree programmes and most master's degree programmes.

Exceptions, particularly for MBA degree programmes, can be found on the pages of the respective degree programmes.

Tuition fees for non-EU citizens

Tuition fees are paid by students who come to Germany to study in Baden-Württemberg and who are not citizens of a member state of the European Union (EU) or another state party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area (EEA: Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein). Normally, these students have a residence permit in accordance with § 16 of the Residence Act.

They must pay €1,500 per semester in addition to the regular semester fee of €155 in WS 2024/25.

Download file:Information form to establish obligation to pay tuition fees (in German)

Download file:Information form to establish obligation to pay tuition fees (English translation)

In Baden-Württemberg tuition fees are also charged from students who are pursuing a second or further degree programme or a second or further course of study in a consecutive Master's degree programme. The fee is €650 per semester.

Download file:Information form to establish obligation to pay tuition fees for a second degree (in German)

Financing options

Surveys have calculated that the average cost of living during a degree programme is around €842 per month (including rent, travel costs, food, clothing, learning materials, health insurance, telephone, internet and leisure expenses, etc.). 

There are various ways to finance your studies, for example through parental support, money you earn from a job, state support through government BAföG grants, student loans, scholarships and social benefits. There are also benefits for students. Often, student financing will be a mixture of these options.

We at HFU are happy to advise you on financing options. Many of our degree programmes can also be studied on a dual or part-time basis. 

Enrolled students have access to an online job exchange where companies post offers, from internships, thesis topics and vacation jobs, to their first real job. There are also opportunities at the university to earn some extra money as a student assistant (Hiwi). 

We're happy to provide advice if you have any questions. Just get in touch with our Central Student Advisory Service. The contact details are at the bottom of this page.

Special study formats at HFU

Trainee Study Programme

You've already secured your job here! In the study-accompanying trainee programme, the trainee and company conclude a contract before or during your studies. This guarantees you financial security and the best prospects.

Internal link opens in the same window:Curious about trainee opportunities?

Industry study programme

At the Tuttlingen campus you can complete both the Internal link opens in the same window:Mechatronics and Digital Production (MDP) and Internal link opens in the same window:Applied Materials Science (AMB) degree programmes as industrial degrees in nine semesters. The industrial degree programme combines in-depth practical experience with full-time study, financially independent under the umbrella of a company.


Study Plus

Internal link opens in the same window:Study Plus is dual study programme that integrates vocational training and allows you to obtain two qualifications at the same time – a Bachelor's degree and a Chamber of Industry and Commerce qualification. We offer this model in various degree programmes at HFU. This allows you to earn money during your studies and after 4.5 years you will have two qualifications in your pocket!


Part-time study

You can also study many of our degree programmes part-time if you are working or if full-time study is not suitable for you for other reasons. You can find more information on the individual degree programme pages. The best way to find out about your options is to contact our Central Academic Advisory Service! You'll find the contact details at the bottom of this page.

We help you tailor your degree to your life!

Studying and elite sport

Furtwangen University makes it possible for you to combine high-performance sport and study. Flexible study conditions are laid down in our Study and Examination Regulations.

Internal link opens in the same window:Find out more about combining studying and high-performance sports at Furtwangen University

Studying with children

HFU supports you with various initiatives including childcare cooperation agreements and parent-kids workrooms. So that it is possible to combine studying and family there are clear regulations for maternity and parental leave for students, as well as flexible examination conditions.

Please contact our coordinator who will be happy to find a solution for your individual questions and requirements!

I'm happy to advise you on the subject of family-friendly university!

Your key contact

  •  Silke Weidmann
    Silke Weidmann Gender & Diversity Coordinator

Studying with a disability

To support prospective students with a disability or chronic illness, there are some special regulations that we can use to make it easier for you to apply and study, for example

  • Hardship application during the application process
  • Compensation for disadvantages when applying
  • Financing your studies
  • Accessibility of HFU buildings

We recommend that you talk to our Central Student Advisory Service to look for individual solutions to compensate for disadvantages. You can find the contact details at the bottom of this page.

Visiting HFU as a wheelchair user

If you are a wheelchair user and would like to visit Furtwangen University's Furtwangen Campus, for example before deciding on a course of study, you can use the parking spaces for wheelchair users in front of the Clock Museum. This takes you directly to the main building, the A Building. Here you will find an information sign indicating that the building can be accessed via the cafeteria. A path to the left of the main entrance leads to the cafeteria.

If you contact our Internal link opens in the same window:HFU Representative for the Disabled, Ralf Weißer ahead of time, he'll be waiting for you in front of the A Building. He can show you the most important places to go, such as the Examinations Office, and will be happy to be your contact person in the future!

Got questions about the study programme? Get in touch. We're happy to help!

Your key contact

  •  Victoria Reineck
    Victoria Reineck Central Student Advisory Service