The focus of the Materials Engineering programme is on the use of materials in all technological areas of mechanical, electrical and medical engineering. The 7-semester Industrial Materials Engineering bachelor's programme combines materials science and testing, ceramics, metals, and surface and nanotechnology. You will gain a deep understanding of the properties of various materials and based on this know-how, be able to develop new materials.
An internship semester is carried out in the 4th semester.
Industrial Materials Engineering – a programme powered by industry
On the University Campus in Tuttlingen you study in cooperation with 100 companies. The Materials Engineering programme is therefore extremely workplace relevant and offers excellent career opportunities:
- Introduction to materials engineering through visits to companies
- Practicals in the labs of the Tuttlingen Faculty of Industrial Technologies
- Practicals in the labs of cooperating companies
- Project work in cooperation with companies
- Lecture series run with industry specialists
- Mentoring by specialists and management from industry
The degree is awarded after successful completion of the Bachelor's thesis in the 7th semester. The degree of Bachelor of Science in Materials Engineering (B.Sc.).
- Solid grounding in principles of mathematics, natural science and engineering
- Ability to develop products and components and to design component layouts for mechanical and medical engineering using appropriate materials and material-appropriate production processes
- Ability to plan and monitor production processes and production lines taking into account mechanical, physical, chemical and thermal properties of materials
- Understanding of quality in mass and custom production, and application of systematic methods of materials testing and evaluation of flaws
- Ability to define quality criteria for purchasing specifications and material and supplier approvals
- Goal-oriented, interdisciplinary thinking
- Self-directed learning accepting responsibility for individual actions
- Confident manner and presentation skills
- Foreign language proficiency
- Decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Reflective interpersonal and teamworking skills
- Cost-conscious attitude and working methods