The Orientation Test (www.was-studiere-ich.de) gave me a 97% recommendation to take Bio and Process Technology. I had never even considered it before then and I came to Schwenningen with no background in this area. In the meantime I'm in the 6th semester and if I had to chance, I would definitely choose it again.Martin Kirchner (6th semester student WiSe18/19)
What makes the Bio and Process Technology programme special
- Unique combination of the two key technologies, Biotechnology and Process Technology
- Sound fundamental knowledge coupled with modern areas of specialization
- Range of cooperative ventures with companies and scientific institutions
- Combination of theory and practice - from the labs and pilot systems, to process simulations
- Modern lab facilities
- Small class sizes and personal support
The practically oriented degree programme with practicals and project work from the first semester on, covers the fundamentals of both natural sciences and engineering sciences. The basic processes of both the synthesis (upstream processing) and the purification (downstream processing) of biotechnological products are taught. In the advanced semesters you can customize your course by taking electives (here you can choose whether you wish to focus more on process engineering or biotechnology). What is learnt on the course is applied and learnt in more depth during the internship semester and in the Bachelor thesis, which is usually carried out in industry.
Besides two English courses, the curriculum also covers key management skills. The small groups, personal supervision and friendly atmosphere are further advantages of the course.
- Sound knowledge of biotechnology and process engineering
- Ability to plan, design, carry out, operate, evaluate and optimize experiments, processes, plants, company procedures, etc.
- Fully trained engineer with interdisciplinary knowledge
- Ability to carry out self-directed scientific work
- Qualification to take a master's degree
- Ability to fulfill any technical function in companies
- Ability to fulfill functions in research facilities (including PhD work)
- Career prospects in industry, the health sector, labs and research institutes, government agencies and local authority facilities
- Self-directed, goal-oriented planning of work processes and projects
During your course you can go abroad for a semester either to study or to do an internship. Some students carry out the practical part of their thesis work abroad, too. HFU has many good contacts with prestigious universities, institutes and companies in over 140 countries. International experience is of enormous importance especially in innovative, research-oriented disciplines. For this reason we strongly encourage our students to spend a semester abroad during their studies.
The semester abroad with the subsequent internship semester in Buenos Aires through the I.DEAR programme offers the perfect opportunity to improve your Spanish. Argentina is a beautiful country with an unbelievable variety of scenery and wildlife.Dennis Maier