Media designers have to think holistically, integrating artistic, cultural and psychological dimensions into their work, taking economic and technological aspects into consideration. Thus the curriculum offers a wide range of specialization options.
In the foundation studies you gain a solid grounding in the planning, design and programming of digital media. Creativity, text and form are the basis of design work. Besides practical skills such as the development of interactive applications, 3D visualization and media technology, you will also be taught theory in areas such as media economics and marketing.
The advanced studies focus on the design of innovative applications for various target groups. Of core importance in the advanced studies is the project work where small teams work on a complex communications task over the space of a year. Students benefit from the synergies of the sister study programmes, working together in modern studios and media labs to develop, implement and test.
A semester abroad at one of the HFU partner universities is recommended and will be officially credited as a sixth semester.
Electives enable you to specialize in areas special interest, e.g.
- Interactive media
- Creative writing
- TV development
- Game design
The internship semester in the 3rd semester enables you to deepen your knowledge of computer science, design, technology and business. The goal is to give you a comprehensive overview of the methods and applications of digital information processing. The main aim is to allow you to become familiar with and to understand multimedia in all its forms and complexity. Suitable employers could be:
- Developers of local or networked multimedia applications
- Agencies for computer graphics/animation
- Audio and video studios and radio stations
- Publishers (CD-ROM, etc.), CBT and crossmedia production, distance teaching and learning
- Training departments in companies and public institutions
- Office and telecommunications firms
- PR and communications departments
- Film/TV production companies and post-productions
- Advertising agencies
- Scenographers, museum designers and events agencies
- Developers of digital audio and video technology and multimedia components and systems
The Media Design bachelor programme teaches interdisciplinary know-how in the field of media, focusing on the design of digital media. It offers a very flexible choice of study specialization options, and the focus on the design of digital media means excellent perspectives in varied career pathways.
- Understanding of communication theories, processes and media systems
- Knowledge of applied creative and design processes and their application to (multi)media concepts and media systems
- Indepth knowledge of media production processes
- Broad knowledge of media systems technology
- Self-management, teambuilding and project management know-how
- Practical experience in the field of media design
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills
- Ability to reflect on relationships with others and teamworking, teambuilding and teamleading skills
- Problem-solving and decision-making skills in design processes
- Deep awareness of ethical and intercultural challenges, and ability to reflect on social responsibility
- Career planning skills
- Qualification for higher academic study programme in the faculty or at another university
- Preparation to undertake positions of responsibility in the design of media systems and media communications instruments, in agencies, companies or institutions
- Assistance in leading design teams and interfacing with marketing stategists, developers, programmers, designers and artworkers
- Entrepreneurship skills necessary to set up a business in one of the above-mentioned areas