Applications for the MA programmes are accepted throughout the year. However, you are strongly encouraged to apply as early as possible due to limited class sizes. We recommend applying at latest by July 15 for a start in winter semester and by January 15 for a start in summer semester.
Dates for the next Academic Years
Commencement of Classes
Deadline for Applications
Summer Semester 2020
Spring 2020 (two start dates are offered for first semester students)
Submission of application documents recommended by January 15, 2020
|Winter Semester 2020/21||October 2020||Submission of application documents recommended by July 15, 2020|
- First degree (Bachelor, Master, Magister, Diploma or equivalent)
- For the regular programme (4 semesters): Bachelor's degree with minimum of 180 ECTS
- For the fast-track programme (3 semesters): Bachelor's degree with minimum of 210 ECTS OR minimum of one year's professional experience in a position of responsibility following graduation
- Good command of the English language enabling study in this language (i.e. proof of previous studies in English or TOEFL (iBT) >60, or equivalent level in other tests)
- Participation in a detailed introductory interview
- An online application form must be submitted. After applying online, the applicant will receive an email, from the ICD indicating the application reference code and outlining the next steps of the application. Please do not send the supporting documents and/or pay the application fee until you have received this email.
- All supporting documents must be received by the ICD (see list of required documents below).
- The application fee of € 70 must be paid and received by the ICD (payment options will be sent to you via email).
The following documents must be submitted in the application process:
- Official First Degree Diploma and Transcript: original documents or certified hard copies of the official First Degree Diploma and Transcript from the university that awarded the undergraduate degree (and graduate degree, if applicable). If the document was issued in a language other than English or German, a certified translation into one of the two languages must be submitted. Current undergraduate students can submit an application and participate in the application process by submitting a confirmation of their current studies and transcripts.
- Hard copies - for official admission, you must submit the hard copies of either the original documents or the certified copies. You may send scans in advance and bring the hard copies of the documents with you upon arrival in Berlin before the start of the course.
- Certified Copies - the copies of the documents above must be certified by a notary, embassy or equivalent.
Passport and/or National ID Card Copy: a scanned copy of your passport photo identification page and/or of your National ID Card should be sent to the ICD. The information on your passport should be clearly legible.
- Motivation letter: a personal statement of at least 1, max. 2 pages (A4) explaining your motivation for undertaking the MA programme.
- Curriculum Vitae (Resumé): this should include information of your academic background (institutions attended, courses studied); your professional experience, if applicable; your interests; any awards or scholarships received and your full contact details. The curriculum vitae should be no longer than 2 A4 pages.
- Certificate of language proficiency: certification of language proficiency is required by applicants whose mother tongue is not English. If you have studied in English for at least 1 semester before or have worked abroad for at least one year in an English-speaking country, a certificate which attests to this fact will be sufficient. Otherwise proof of language proficiency by means of a certificate is required; minimum level is 60 points in TOEFL (iBT), or equivalent in other relevant tests (i.e. IELTS, TOEIC).
- Essay: a writing sample of between 2-5 pages on any topic related to the fields of the programme.
- Employment verification letters (only if you are applying for the fast-track programme and have less than 210 ECTS): letters confirming professional experience from the organization where you were employed, including start and finish dates (month and year) of the position, the area of employment, title and a brief description of responsibilities.
Applicants who have successfully completed the first stage of the application and are being considered for admission to the programme will be invited for an interview with a member of the faculty, which will be conducted via SKYPE or by telephone. Candidates will be informed individually about the date and time of the interview, which will be held within two weeks of the successful submission of the application.
Following the interview, applicants will be notified of the admission committee's decision within a period of two weeks.