Barely visible, but already something we can't live without - small inbuilt minicomputers, so-called embedded systems, can nowadays be found in almost all technical devices from the smartwatch with fitness function, to the car computer. Embedded systems provide high quality photos in a smartphone, control industrial production plants and regulate the environmentally friendly use of intelligent household appliances.Technical Computer Science also enables robots to speak, recognize or grip.
In the Technical Computer Science specialization you will learn how hardware and software components are integrated into intelligent systems and applications. This includes the use of microcomputers and programmable components and the operation of distributed systems in computer networks. With your knowledge of hardware/software interfaces you will be able to select and deploy suitable components effectively.
Your specialist knowledge will be called into play particularly where embedded systems monitor, control and regulate data and signal processing. If you are interested in the application-oriented development of significant 21st century interdisciplinary technologies, Technical Computer Science is the right specialization for you.
The bachelor programme takes 7 semesters and is clearly structured. In each semester you will take 5 modules which are generally completed with a graded assessment. The foundation level studies are completed after 2 semesters, the advanced level studies after 5 semesters.
Your programme is made up of lectures, seminars and practicals in the areas of computer science, software engineering and programming, as well as the principles of mathematics. The core subjeces of embedded systems, programmable components, computer architecture and hardware/software codesign, you will be well prepared for a broad range of future-oriented work. Further specializations can also be taken in the semester projects in the 4th and 6th semesters, in the internship in the 5th semester and in the two elective modules in the 6th and 7th semesters.
The table below shows the structure of the study programme. Click on a module in the table to open the module description. The module descriptions of the areas of specialization are listed under the table.
Learning outcomes - subject knowledge and skills
- Broad-based computer science training
- Techniques for drafting and producing application systems
- Applications development
- Project work and project management
Technical Computer Science specialization:
- Modeling and development of embedded systems
- Organization of parallel procedures on multicore and FPGA systems
Learning outcomes - transferable skills
- Foreign language proficiency
- Communication, presentation and teamworking skills
- Decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Business studies and international management
Learning outcomes - employability skills
- Development of technical systems
- Quality assurance
- Management of application development projects
- IT consulting
With a specialization in Technical Computer Science, you will have a broad grounding and knowledge of applications for the development, installation and implementation of software systems for technical applications. Exciting work in a broad range of career areas will be open to you. Your work will involve a high level of responsibility and interdisciplinary teamwork. If you study at the Faculty of Computer Science, you will have outstanding opportunities in the job market. Salaries are excellent with starting salaries at the top end of the scale in industry. Top rankings demonstrate the enormous respect regional and international IT firms have for our graduates.
- Development of technical systems (realization, technical management, architecture): driver assistance systems, medical engineering, robotics, smart home systems
- Management of development projects (organization, planning and control of system developments)
- IT consulting (in questions of software technologies for system development)
- IT firms, software companies
- Automobile and heavy vehicles sector
- Medical sector
- Entertainment and communications sector