Current information from HFU about the Corona virus:

Coronavirus FAQ

Last modified: 29. Nov. 2021, 1pm

The latest Corona regulations as relating to university studies (Corona-Verordnung Studienbetrieb) contain substantial changes as the way we will be able to tech. Alert level II as defined by the federal state of Baden-Württemberg’s Corona regulations (Alarmstufe II (Corona-Verordnung Baden-Württemberg)) now applies. Schwarzwald-Baar-Kreis has the highest incidence rate in the entire state of Baden-Württemberg. Generally speaking, we want to stick to a mode of study which is a sensible mix of classroom and online teaching – with as much classroom teaching as possible. However, our highest priority remains protecting the health of every member of the university. For this reason we are now taking the following steps in everyone’s interest.

From Monday, 29th November onwards until the Christmas break the following rules will apply for studying at Furtwangen University:
Generally, all teaching will be switched to online format.
There may be some exceptions.

  • Laboratory and practical sessions can take place (new:) with complete 3G-checks (proof of full vaccination, recovered status or current negative test result) in classroom format.
  • For the time being, access to the library for students and staff remains possible if 3G status can be shown
  • Learning rooms – 2G (access only for those who can show they are fully vaccinated or those who have a recovery certificate) – are administered by the faculty offices (Dekanat), please contact them directly if applicable.
  • For the physiotherapy and midwifery study programmes, separate rules apply. They will be communicated to their students directly.

In which way will your sessions be held from next week onwards?
Please check the online timetable and FELIX. We are working around the clock to make these changes; make sure you check for any changes at short notice. If you are uncertain, please check with the lecturer directly.
Unless you receive express information that a session is held in classroom format, please assume that all sessions from Monday onwards will take place online.

Please be aware:

  • any students who are unable to show proof of their 2G- / 3G-status will have to leave university buildings immediately.
  • Students may only enter university premises to attend teaching sessions, visit the library or with an appointment with a lecturer or member of staff (e.g. the Student Administration Office).

2G means: you will have to show a digital vaccination or recovery certificate
3G means: you will have to show a digital vaccination or recovery certificate or a written negative test result no more than 24 hours old. Self-administered tests are not acceptable to prove 3G status.
The 2G / 3G checks provided for by the Corona Verordnung Studienbetrieb will be made both by lecturers and security personnel.

Mask requirement
On university premises and throughout any rooms and areas intended for teaching, you are required to wear a medical mask.
We recommend FFP2-masks.
The only time the mask may briefly be taken off during a classroom teaching session is to have a drink (not to eat).
Alert level II continues to exempt teaching staff from the duty to wear a mask while they are talking. In any case, please make sure you observe the 1.5 metre minimum distance requirement.

(Last modified: 26. Nov. 2021)

3G in the workplace

We are monitoring the situation very closely and as soon as there are new regulations that impact the university, we will inform you immediately.

3G now applies in the workplace nationwide. This means that all employees - professors and other staff, as well as student assistants - must prove their Corona 3G status for each day they are present at the university. 3G stands for vaccinated, recovered or currently tested.

If you are neither fully vaccinated nor can prove that you have recovered, effective immediately you will need a rapid test with written proof that it has been carried out within the last 24 hours before starting work. A self-test carried out yourself will not suffice.

Regardless of this, we ask to wear a medical mask at all times, preferably a FFP 2 mask.

(Last updated: 24 November 2021)


What do I have to keep in mind about the internship semester and exams?

Information for students regarding teaching and examination regulations for winter semester 2021 / 2022

As result of the on-going corona pandemic, the following examination regulations apply specifically for winter semester 21/22:

Deadline/normative times:

For students registered during summer semester 2020, winter semester 2020/2021, summer semester 2021 and/or winter semester 2021/2022, an individual normative time deviating from normal normative time, applies. Here, the normative time will be extended by one semester for each of the semesters in question, but by a maximum of three semesters in total. Loss of right to examination and exmatriculation for exceeding deadline as per paragraph 5 (3) SPO will not occur until the newly calculated individual normative time expires, at the earliest.

Internship semester:

  • For winter semester 21/22 you will only have to show evidence of 80 days instead of the 95 days stipulated in the SPO § 3 (2). If you wish to take advantage of this regulation to shorten your internship, please apply (giving reasons) to your faculty’s internship coordinator. The internship semester will not be generally shortened as a matter of course.
  • Any days you were working from home which are accordingly confirmed by the company you work for will count towards the requirement.

Please keep in mind the regular dates and deadlines Internal link opens in the same window:see at page dates and deadlines

You can find all relevant regulations regarding examinations in the study and examination regulations: Internal link opens in the same window:Studien- und Prüfungsordnungen

Please continue to send any applications, forms, certificates, etc. by mail.

(Last modified: 29. Nov. 2021)

How can I book a place in my faculty's learning room?

The individual faculties set up learning rooms where students can stay to study after registering. Registration takes place via FELIX:

After logging in, you will only "see" the rooms available for members of your faculty. If you are not shown any rooms, your faculty has not yet made an offer.

(Last modified: 29 Oct. 2021)


How can I get in touch with health authorities?

The public health department of the Schwarzwald-Baar district has a telephone hotline on the subject of Corona: 07721 913-7190.
Telephone hours: Mon. - Wed.: 8 to 11.30 a.m. and 2 to 4 p.m.
Thurs.: 8 to 11.30 a.m. and 2 to 5.30 p.m.
Fri.: 8 to 11.30 a.m.


(Last modified: 25 Oct 2021)

What does 3G mean?

3G is the abbreviation for "Vaccinated - recovered - tested".

Vaccinated: Persons who have been vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine licensed in the EU and for whom at least 14 days have elapsed after the last vaccine dose. Depending on the vaccine, one (vector-based COVID-19 Vaccine Janssen from Janssen-Cilag International) or two vaccine doses (vector-based vaccine Vaxzevria from AstraZeneca and mRNA vaccine Spikevax from Moderna or Comirnaty from BioNTech, including heterologous vaccination regimen) are required to achieve full vaccine protection. A current list of COVID-19 vaccines licensed in the EU as well as information on the required number of vaccine doses can be found on the website of the Paul-Ehrlich-Institut (PEI): .

With the CovPass or the Corona Warn app, proof of Corona vaccinations can be downloaded directly to the smartphone. Alternatively, one can also prove Corona vaccination protection with the printed vaccination certificate or the yellow vaccination booklet.

Recovery: People who have had a confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection less than six months ago. Proof of a confirmed, passed-through infection must be provided by direct pathogen detection (PCR) at the time of infection.

Tested: The underlying test must have been performed no more than 24 hours ago in the case of a rapid antigen test and no more than 48 hours ago in the case of a PCR test. The certified tests must be carried out outside the HFU and brought with you. HFU cannot cover the costs of tests.

(Last updated: 16 September 2021)

Where can I get vaccinated?

"As a way out of the pandemic, vaccination is of very crucial importance," emphasised Science Minister Theresia Bauer in a circular to universities on 21 July 2021. Like the state of Baden-Württemberg (, Furtwangen University regularly makes unbureaucratic vaccination offers - also for students. Please note our circulars with current vaccination dates.

(Last updated: 16 September 2021)

Will there still be self-testing centres at HFU?

There will be no HFU-owned test centres in the winter semester.

HFU offers its employees twice-weekly test kits for rapid antigen tests, which can be collected from the magazine. As these tests are not carried out under supervision, they are not valid as proof that is needed to give or attend lectures.

(Last updated: 16 September 2021)

How does digital attendance recording work?

According to § 5 CVO Studienbetrieb or § 8 CVO, data processing must be carried out in the following cases:

  • Classroom events; in the case of series of events, data processing must be carried out for each individual event
  • Use of libraries and other academic facilities or operating facilities of the university with academic operations
  • Data processing is not required in libraries for the collection and return of media
  • Use of student study, work and practice spaces (student study spaces) outside the libraries

The QR codes and the URLs for registering in this room are posted in the rooms mentioned. You will need your HFU access data to do this.

Lecturers are encouraged to check the registration via the QR code. Under the following link, lecturers can read the number of registered attendees and compare it with the actual number:

(Last updated: 1 October 2021)

Where can I print something out at the university?

The document must be a PDF on a USB stick.
Pay directly with your HFU card at the copier.

Furtwangen Campus

  1. A Building: in the lobby in front of the Examinations Office
  2. B Building: in the Central Stores (Magazin) (Internal link opens in the same window:during opening hours)
  3. C Buidling: in the lobby in front of room C 1.20 - bring your own paper
  4. G Building: in the lobby on the ground floor
  5. O Building: in the lobby on the ground floor

Schwenningen Campus

  1. A Building: in the Central Stores (Magazin) (Internal link opens in the same window:during opening hours)
  2. A Building: in front of the Central Stores (Magazin)
  3. C Building: C 2.13 and C 3.13
  4. F Building: 2nd floor

Tuttlingen Campus

B Building: BE.03

(Last updated: 2 July 2021)

Who can I contact if I have any questions about my study programme?

Opening hours

Are canteens and cafeterias open?

2G applies in the dining halls and cafeterias - this means: only vaccinated and recovered persons have access. Appropriate proof must be presented upon request.

The dining halls and cafeterias are now only open to employees and students of the university. External guests, including adjunct faculty or students, currently have no access.

The dining halls and cafeterias in Furtwangen and Schwenningen have been open again since October 4, 2021.

Opening hours:
Dining Halls in Furtwangen and Schwenningen Mon - Fri 11.30am - 2.00pm
Cafeteria Furtwangen Mon - Fri 9.00am - 2.00pm
Cafeteria Schwenningen Mon - Fri 8.00am - 2.00pm

(Last updated: 24 November 2021)

Are the libraries open?

All 3 HFU libraries will be open again from Monday, 14 June 2021.

Further information can be found on the Internal link opens in the same window:library webpages.

(Last updated: 10 June 2021)

Is the Clock Museum open?

The German Clock Museum, which belongs to Furtwangen University, opens again on 18 June, 2021.

External link opens in a new window:Opening hours

(Last updated. 14 June, 2021)

Access to and participation in lectures is not permitted for persons who…

  1. with a positive PCR-corona-test result. Such persons are not permitted to enter university premises until the isolation (“Absonderung”) requirement has been withdrawn.
  2. …with a positive self-administered / rapid test result. Such persons are not permitted to enter the university for 14 days or until they have a PCR-test result.
  3. … anyone who is subject to an isolation requirement relating to the corona virus (Absonderungspflicht).
  4. … are showing the typical symptoms of a corona virus infection: shortness of breath, newly occurring cough, high temperature, loss of taste & smell.
  5. … are not wearing a mask (medical, in German often called OP-Maske, certified in accordance with the German DIN EN 14683:2019-10 norm or similar standard, or protective mask with FFP2 = DIN EN 149:2001, KN95, N95, KF94, KF99 or similar)
  6. … have returned from a risk, high incidence or virus-variant area outside of the federal republic of Germany as defined by the Robert Koch Institute (cf. German website The requirements of the relevant corona regulations regarding entry quarantine (Corona-Einreiseverordnung) as issued by the federal health ministry (Bundesgesundheitsministerium) have to be observed.
  7. … who when attending any session subject to a test requirement, cannot show either a negative rapid test result, proof of vaccination or proof of recovery.

Procedures to follow

  • The instructions of the health authorities must be followed.
  • Staff who is affected should immediately contact the university operations centre by email: to clarify any legal issues related to their employment. Please include a phone number.
  • Students who are affected should contact the examinations office (Prüfungsamt) and the contact person in your faculty by email or phone to find solutions which will minimise negative effects on your studies. In case of infection, students should also send an email to and include their phone number.

Access to Rooms

  • A minimum distance of 1.5 metres from all other persons must be maintained.
  • In all buildings, at least a medical mask has to be worn.
  • All students must register using the attendance list for lecture rooms, study rooms (pre-registration via FELIX online portal) and the library using either the QR code, URL posted at the door of the room or the paper version.

These regulations apply from 17th May 2021 for all Furtwangen University grounds and buildings. Current Baden-Württemberg and federal corona regulations (Corona-Verordnungen) must be observed.

(Last modified: 17 May 2021)

Hygiene measures

Download file:HFU Hygiene measuresDownload file:

(Version 14, last updated: 22 Nov, 2021)

Contact: Operations Centre

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the Operations Centre by email at: lagezentrum(at)

News updates

No news available.

Additional information

Additional information on current developments and how to deal with the COVID-19 coronavirus can be found on the website of the World Health Organization.