The degree that combines biological theory and practice
The new "Applied Biology" programme on the Schwenningen Campus was first offered in Winter Semester 2019/2020. This practice-oriented course combines fascinating areas of biology with practical applications from industry and research. Graduates with a Bachelor of Science in Applied Biology have a wide range of career opportunities open to them.
Applied Biology on the Schwenningen Campus
The new Applied Biology programme on the Schwenningen Campus offers you the following:
- A solid grounding in biology, biotechnology, biomedicine and biological sciences
- An academic and technical understanding of numerous applications in the pharmaceutical and foodstuffs industries, as well as in the fields of medicine and environmental protection
- Fascinating insights into the innovative field of synthetic biology, an increasingly important area of research
- Management skills, business studies, legal know-how and languages
During your course in Applied Biology in Schwenningen you will work in well-known firms where you have the chance to put your theoretical knowledge into practice. International experience can be gained through our global network of more than 20 partner universities. An internship semester or thesis work abroad can easily be customised to your interests through our partner network.
Good reasons to study Applied Biology
- Biology is a future-oriented science that will define the 21 Century. Applied biology and biotechnology will play an important role in an increasing number of fields of application and employment areas. These include medicine and biomedicine, the pharmaceutical industry, the foodstuffs industry and applied environmental protection.
- In this interdisciplinary study programme you will not only study biological sciences, but will also gain in-depth insights into their industrial applications. As a biological engineer you will also help to develop new technologies.
- Our well-structured programme ensures your academic success. Theory is directly tranferred to practice in lab and project practicals.
- We offer outstanding, modern lab and teaching facilities on the Schwenningen Campus of our university.
- You will already meet potential employers during your programme. In your practical internship semester you can carry out long-term project work with a company.
- You will be studying and working in a close-knit study environment. Lab practicals and other practice-oriented classes are held in small groups, which provide optimal support.
Who is this programme designed for?
This programme is for all those interested in the various areas of biology, for example micro-, cellular and molecular biology, biomedicine and biotechnology. Unlike a very broad-based, general biology degree at a university, we offer specific biological and technical know-how which is of core importance for industrial applications, for instance in the areas of biochemistry or process engineering. In doing so our teaching is highly interdisciplinary aimed at giving you insights into the many different areas of application of biology, and at the same time, a high level of problem-solving competence. In principle you are combining a degree in biology with a degree in biotechnology.
As such, the Applied Biology degree on the Schwenningen Campus is a strongly interdisciplinary programme. You will gain an understanding of numerous different areas of application of biology and biotechnology and will develop excellent problem solving skills. You will thus be equipped with all the key skills that future employers seek and a broad range of career opportunities will be open to you upon graduation.
Are you interested in studying Applied Biology on the Schwenningen Campus? Then send us our application documents. Of course we are also happy to give you in-depth counselling. If you can visit us on campus, you will also gain a good impression of what it's like to study with us.
- ECTS 210 ECTS
- Programme duration 7 Semesters
- Location Villingen-Schwenningen
- Faculty Medical and Life Sciences
- Programme begins Winter semester (October), Summer semester (March)
- Application deadline 15 January (summer semester), Winter Semester: 20 August
- Entry requirements University entrance qualification
- Teaching Language German
- Accreditation Yes (system accreditation)