This programme is aimed at those who would like to combine technical know-how with close patient-relationships, who would like to understand complex and multidisciplinary relationships at the interface between medicine and technology and use these to implement solutions for the benefit of the patient in close cooperation with medical staff.
Our graduates work together with doctors during technically supported interventions, or in industry where they can contribute their medical and technical knowledge, e.g. in product optimization. You also have the option of gaining the "European Board of Cardiovascular Perfusion" Certificate at our University.
Depending on your previous knowledge, you will gain a better understanding of the various specialist areas of medicine in which modern technologies are already used in both the primary and follow-up treatment of patients.
This will enable you to understand how the technology functions and its interaction with the human body.
Special areas of medicine
- Surgical instruments and their clinical application
- Surgical techniques practical
- Priniciples of surgery of various organ systems
- Specialized surgery (heart, thorax and vascular surgery, abdominal surgery, accident surgery, orthopaedics)
- Conservative and surgical therapy operations
- Technical medicine in the operating theatre
- Pathophysiology of organ systems
- Specialized pathophysiology in the application of medical technology
- Special aspects of infections, hygiene, microbiology and sterilization
- "Operating Theatre Behaviour" operating theatre certificate
Specialized medicine and technology
"Medical Specializations" lecture series
Use and application of medical technology in specialist areas such as cardiology, oncology, urology, gynacology, ENT, ophthalmology, orthopaedics, diagnostic and interventional radiology.
Specialized Accident, Anaesthesiology, and Critical Care Medicine
State-of-the-art special anaesthesiology and critical care medicine using life support systems and extra-corporeal circulation. Problems which arise in using these technologies and strategies to deal with possible complications.
Advanced Technical Medicine I
Intelligent Implants in Medicine and the Biologicalization of Medical Technology
- Biocompatible materials
- Aspects of microsystems technology/thin film technology
- Encapsulation of intelligent implants
- Electrophysiology (extracellular recording and stimulation)
- Sensors, neuroprosthetics
- Clinical cases (e.g. retina implants, cochlear implants, intracranial implants, implantable micropumps, tumour monitoring)
- Biologicalization strategies in medical technology
- Example development strategies for biomaterials in cartilage/spinal disc repair
- Instrument development for related operating theatre and applications technology
Biometry and Multiparameter Diagnostics
The Planning of clinical Studies:
Case study planning, randomization and blinding, statistical monitoring and data management, quality requirements and special study design
Biometry and Multiparameter Diagnostics
Meta analyses, per protocol analysis, intention-to-treat analysis, clustering, principle component analysis, multidimensional scaling, supervised statistical learning
You will gain knowledge of the implementation possibilities and limitations of various technical medicine methods (extracorporeal systems, life support systems, minimal invasive systems, navigation systems, intelligent instruments, etc.) In an independently carried out clinical research and development project, particular importance is placed on self-directed work following the principles of good scientific practice. You can also take an elective from other master's programmes according to your interests.
Advanced Technical Medicine II
"Advanced Technical Medicine" hospital practical:
Use of surgical and interventional methods using cardiac catheters, neuroradiology and other assistance systems as examples.
Specialized innovative technical medicine equipment:
Technology and functionality of robots, navigation systems, endoscopes, neurosurgical systems, intelligent instruments and implants. Particular problems and complications of such areas of application.
Specialized perfusion techniques:
Equipment for extracorporeal circulation, its function, construction and materials in the field of oncology/ HIPEC, assist devices, emergency services, intensive care medicine and in transportation. Particular problems and possible complications in this field of application.
Diagnostics in specialized areas of medicine
Internal Medicine / General Practice
Pathogenesis, pathology and diagnostics of various illnesses in the field of internal medicine (haematology, oncology, immunology, gastroenterology, cardiology, pulmonology) and general practice
Neurology / Pathology
Pathology: methods of examination and diagnostics in pathology, typical areas of application and findings
Neurology: pathogenesis, pathology and diagnostics of various illnesses in the field of neurology
Project in a hospital or research institute
In an independently carried out research and development project, particular importance is placed on self-directed work following the principles of good scientific practice.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Technical Medicine and related medical fields
- Knowledge of hospital procedures and the special problems of medical technology and hospital logistics
- Competent use of learned techniques during diagnosis and treatment, confident handling of related technical devices
- Ability to interpret medical and technical parameters in diagnostics and treatment from medical case history, first aid and accident treatment to the equipment required for medical intervention
- Ability to create or develop technical solutions taking particular aspects of interactions of technical systems with the human body into consideration
- Ability to work autonomously to learn application of new technologies
- Ability to plan, gather complex data for, critically question, evaluate and present clinical studies
- Ability to evaluate and take into consideration social, scientific and ethical results of insights, decisions and developments, recognize the limitations of medical technology applications
- Ability to make multidisciplinary connections at the interface between medicine and technology and resolve them, together with medical staff, to the benefit of the patient
- Ability to work intensively, flexibly and competently together with various medical specialists
- Ability to make medical and technical facts understandable for others, presentation of research results
- Scientific management and work skills
- Project and team management