- Bioprocess technology, biotechnology and sustainability - 3 future-oriented fields in one degree programme
- Work on interesting bioeconomic projects with companies and scientists while you are still at university
- Furtwangen University has over 20 years of experience in bio and process technology
- Profit from current and industry-related research and development
- Develop project management and leadership skills
- Specialize in engineering or natural sciences
- After graduation with a master's degree, take a doctorate or start your career in the working world
The Master of Sustainable Bioprocess Technology programme prepares graduates to implement and manage complex research, development and optimization projects as well as projects involving the operation of biotechnology processes and biorefineries, taking economic and ecological factors into consideration.
Students groups will work in close cooperation with companies and/or in R&D projects. Business and economics courses are taught by the HFU Business School. Leadership and project management skills are specifically developed through the unusually high amount of project work which is carried out under real life working conditions.
- Ability to plan/design and draft implementation plans of complex plants, processes and procedures, experiments, business procedures, etc. using scientifically sound methods
- Ability to set up, execute and operate experiments, pilot plants, plants, test rigs, tools, etc., including the capture and processing of (process) data (analytical, measurement) using scientific methods
- Characterization of biogenic raw materials and biological systems (cells, micro-organisms, populations, enzymes) and mixtures of substances, as well as processes and basic operations (sub-processes)
- Systematic analysis/evaluation of experiments, trial and process data/operation information and data, etc., as well as information about markets, the environment and existing products using mathematical methods
- Optimization of plants, processes, experiments, operation procedures, etc., and optimization as regards the closing of gaps in the market/gaps in needs through, for example new or improved products
- Evaluation of new products and processes taking ecological, economic and social factors (sustainability) into consideration. Synthesis of new, sustainable processes and production strategies
- Development and implementation of strategies of sustainable business management
- Ability to cooperate with colleagues (as a specialist and as a manager) and train staff
In the first study semester you will take 5 modules (each 6 ECTS).
- Sustainable process technology
- Project planning & process evaluation
- Test and process planning/optimization
- Engineering mandatory elective module, for example:
- Methods and techniques of product extraction
- Energy & biomass
- Advanced bioprocess engineering
- Natural sciences mandatory elective module, for example:
- Biomass use and biotransformation
- Special water treatment techniques
Upon request, students can take modules from other master's programmes from the Faculty of Medical and Life Sciences or the HFU Business School.
The modules are taught by staff from the Faculty of Medical and Life Sciences, HFU Business School and University College London. These include engineering, natural science and business studies modules which are regularly adapted to meet the current state of scientific and technological knowledge.
The second study semester is a project semester carried out in close cooperation with companies and/or research projects. The project modules are taught in chronological order following the main phases of project management.
- Project planning (1st semester)
- Methods and their validation
- Project implementation 1
- Project implementation 2
- Evaluation and scientific documentation
Every module includes project work and lectures to teach theory and skills – in particular those connected with engineering work and project management. It is possible to carry out projects with University College London.