Frequently asked questions about "Security & Safety Engineering"

What are the entrance requirements?

You must have the university of applied sciences entrance qualification (Fachhochschulreife).

If you are not sure whether your school qualifications are sufficient, please contact the Admissions Office of Furtwangen University by email under: zulassungsamt(at)hs-furtwangen.de or by telephone under: 07723-920-1234 and 07723-920-1233.

If you fulfill the admission requirements, in the next step your school grades will be checked. These can be improved by means of various criteria. The following types of experience should be entered in the application form under Point 12 Practical (vocational) Training, and Point 13 Information for Selection Criteria:

  • voluntary work (e.g. with a charity, the fire service, voluntary community work or similar)
  • relevant vocational training (e.g. occupational protection, security guard training, computer science, electronics, electrical engineering, military training, etc.)
  • international experience (also military service)

Proof of qualifications and experience must be submitted.

For further information please see the question below: Is there a restricted intake (Numerus Clausus)?

What other requirements are there for the programme?

For the programme you will need to be:

  • motivated to protect human beings and assets
  • open for new ideas and interdisciplinary work
  • interested in one of the central areas of the programme
  • willing to become involved and to further your own development

A pre-study internship is not required.However your chances of being allocated a place are higher if you have particular work experience or have been involved in particular activities. See question below: Is there a restricted intake (Numerus clausus)?

Can I study without having my "Abitur"?

Applicants without "Abitur" but who have vocational training, can, under certain conditions, take a degree at HFU. Several former soldiers and people with a "Meister" or "Techniker" qualification have successfully graduated with a bachelor in Security & Safety Engineering under these regulations.

Further information can be found under "Study without Abitur"

Is there a restricted intake (Numerus clausus)?

You do not have to have a particular grade to get into the Security & Safety Engineering bachelor programme. The selection process takes school grades into consideration, but also qualifications gained outside school, e.g. work experience, military service or voluntary work, for example with the fire service, a technical assistance service or relief work.

Furtwangen University allocates 90% of bachelor study places according to the University's own selection process and 10% of study places are allocated to those on the waiting list. For the selection procedure school grades are looked at first (the university entrance qualification grade (HZB), German, Maths and advanced languages). With proof of particular special achievements or experience (see below) the grade can be improved. In completing your application form, you should include these achievements in section 13 of the application form. Please note that these achievements can only be taken into consideration if written proof is also submitted with the application.

Applicants for the Security & Safety Engineering bachelor's programme can submit proof of the following additional achievements or experience in order to improve the school grade and thus improve their chances of acceptance:

  • Vocational training: vocational training in the area of computer science, engineering, business, security sector, or as a contract soldier
  • Practical experience: e.g. voluntary service with the fire service, technical assistance service or emergency services
  • Extra-curricular activities: e.g. awards
  • Work experience abroad of a minimum of 3 months: international service in the military also counts

The evaluation of these achievements by a selection committee and the completion of the selection procedure takes place shortly after the closing date for applications,15 January for the summer semester and 15 July for the winter semester.

How can I increase my chances of a study place?

If you are an active volunteer in the fire services, technical services the red cross or similar organizations, then include a written confirmation of your work with your application. You can use the following standard letter (simply download, add your personal details and have it printed out on the letterhead of the organization and signed and stamped by the local head of the organization.):

Please note that volunteer work, for example for the fire services, can only be taken into consideration if written confirmation is included in addition to information in the CV.

Do I have to be very good at maths and physics?

No. Average ability is enough to deal with the maths and natural science courses on the programme. Tutorials taught by students from higher semesters can also be organized to help you.

Do I have to do a pre-study internship?

No, a pre-study internship is not necessary. An internship semester is not carried out until the 5th semester.

Why does the programme have an English name?

The decision was made by the Faculty/University. However the programme is taught in German. It is possible to take some electives taught in English and/or to do an internship semester abroad or a study semester abroad at one of our partner universities.

Do I have to pay tuition fees?

No, only the semester fees which are currently €130 per semester are charged (Summer semester 2018). This also includes the fee for Student Services.

For some international students there are other rules: Baden-Württemberg introduced tuition fees for non-EU students in the winter semester of 2017/2018. Since then, students who come from outside the EU to Baden-Württemberg for the purpose of gaining a university degree must pay €1,500 per semester. Fees for a second degree are €650 per semester.

More information including exceptions to the rule can be found here.

What are the application deadlines?

The application deadlines are:

  • for the coming winter semester: 15 July
  • for the coming summer semester: 15 January
Where do I find more about applying?

Everything you need to know about applications can be found here.

Can I begin the programme in the summer semester?

Yes! The application deadline for the summer semester is 15 January of any given year.

Will I find a job after I finish my degree?

The job prospects for our students are good. Numerous students are taken on after graduation by the companies where they do their internships in the 5th semester. The areas of safety and security are both becoming more important for companies and public institutions. This is because companies and institutions are becoming increasingly complex, which in turn means that sensitivity to disruption increases. Security and safety measures are designed to reduce the possibility and the extent of disruption of normal procedures. For this reason we estimate that the demand for experts in this field will continue to increase in the future too.

More about careers perspectives (with reports from our graduates)

Do I also have to do a master's to find a job?

No, as the experience of our graduates shows, you already have excellent career opportunities after graduating with a bachelor's in Security & Safety Engineering.

Our  "Risk, Reliability and Safety Engineering" master's programme allows you to specialize further. The programme also qualifies you for management positions or work as an appraiser.

Can I become a fire services professional with the bachelor's degree?

In principle the Fires Services decides who they want to hire, but we believe that graduates with a Bachelor in Security & Safety Engineering (SSB) will have good chances. This can be seen by the fact that SSB was invited to the Interschutz exhibition in Leipzig in 2010 by the Organization of the Heads of the Voluntary and Professional Fire Services, to present the SSB programme as a means of entry to the Fire Services. In addition many of our students carry out their internship semester with the Fire Services and we assume that many of them will have found their dream jobs there.

Can I also do a doctorate later?

As with most universities of applied sciences, Furtwangen University cannot offer PhD programmes. However it is possible to do a doctorate in cooperation with another university. Cooperative doctorate opportunities are likely to increase in the future.

How much am I likely to earn as a graduate?

The entry level salaries for engineers vary according to sector and specialization. The Stepstone Salary Analysis will give you a good idea. No responsibility can be accepted for the accuracy of the information provided.

How do I find somewhere to live?

More information about accommodation can be found here.

What is student life in Furtwangen like?

Furtwangen is no city but it still offers an interesting student life through the various student initiatives. If you've got any questions, just ask the SSB student ambassadors: studienbotschafter-ssb(at)hs-furtwangen.de

Further information including the varied sport and freetime activities on offer can be found on the website of the Student Union: Student Union (AStA).

Where can I get more information about the study programme?

You can contact us by email: stg-ssb(at)hs-furtwangen.de. Telephone contacts can be found here.

We also run various information events:

  • Applicants Information Day on 16 June 2018 from 1.00pm
  • Applicants Information Day on 4 August 2018 from 1.00pm
  • University Open Day in November 2018

During these events you can sit in on lectures and teaching staff are available to answer questions.

Exact dates for each event will be posted here several weeks in advance.

I still have a lot of questions. Who can I speak to?

For general questions about taking a degree the General Academic Counselling office at HFU can help.

Is there any information for parents?

We have put all the information your parents might need about studying in Furtwangen on one page : Parents page

This is also available in other languages.