Foundation studies: in the first two semesters you will gain a solid grounding in media planning, interactive media/IT and business. In addition you will learn the fundamentals of media technology and maths/physics.
Advanced studies: in the higher semesters you will develop internet-specific competencies, including in web technologies, responsive web design, e-commerce/online product management, online marketing, interface design and streaming. In addition, building on what you have learned in your foundation studies, you can customize your course, for example by taking courses in online-business, media planning and design, or (web)IT.
Internship semester: in the third semester you will gain practical experience in a company.
In the fourth and fifth semesters you will plan and implement the solution to a complex problem-solving task. This will either be set by a company, or you can work in a team to realize your own project idea.
Semester abroad: a semester abroad at one of our HFU partner universities is recommended and is officially credited as a sixth semester.
You can customize your programme by selecting courses from the following range of compulsory electives:
- Marketing and online marketing
- Media production (film, radio, print)
- Web technologies/IT
- Screen design/user interface
- Media technology
- Computer graphics
- Game Development
The internship semester in the 3rd semester enables you to deepen your knowledge of computer science, design, technology and business. The goal is to give you a comprehensive overview of the methods and applications of digital information processing. The main aim is to allow you to become familiar with and to understand multimedia in all its forms and complexity. Suitable employers could be:
- Developers of local or networked multimedia applications
- Agencies for computer graphics/animation
- Audio and video studios and radio stations
- Publishers (CD-ROM, etc.), CBT and crossmedia production, distance teaching and learning
- Training departments in companies and public institutions
- Office and telecommunications firms
- PR and communications departments
- Film/TV production companies and post-productions
- Advertising agencies
- Scenographers, museum designers and events agencies
- Developers of digital audio and video technology and multimedia components and systems
The fourth and fifth semesters focus on project work. You will be required to work independently within a team on a practical task to produce a finished product. At the same time you will gain important core competencies such as teamwork and soft skills. Projects should if possible cover several subject areas to encourage and produce synergetic effects. Depending on the theme of the project, teams will therefore also be composed of students from our other programmes, Computer Science in Media BSc and Media Design BA.
Project work is generally planned in the fourth semester and carried out in the fifth semester. At the end of the fifth semester, you will submit a written project report with relevant documentation and give a 15-minute, public presentation on Media Day in the last week of lectures of the fifth semester.
The Online Media bachelor's programme teaches interdisciplinary know-how in the field of media, focusing on the development, design and use of online applications. It offers a very flexible choice of study specialization options, and the focus on the internet as a basic technology means excellent perspectives in varied career pathways.
As a graduate of Online Media you will undertake management and implementation functions in the design and development of complex online and media products. Through its focus on the internet as the basic technology used in all sectors of the economy, an Online Media degree offers you excellent job prospects in the fields of internet and media and beyond. Multiple future-oriented career pathways are open to you, for example in the following areas:
- Web development/web design
- Online product management in internet companies
- Media firms (film, radio, print)
- E-media consulting
- Online marketing
- Marketing departments in industry
- Web entertainment
- Broad fundamental knowledge of IT/Media technology, media economics and media design
- In-depth knowledge of development and marketing of media products with a focus on online applications
- Design, evaluation and supervision of media products, particularly online applications
- Several possible areas of specialization due to flexibility of study programme
- Practical experience applying learned content
- Communications skills and teamworking in development and management processes
- Problem-solving and reflection skills in development and management processes
- Interdisciplinary competences at the interface between media management, development and design
- Career planning skills
- Qualification to undertake postgraduate degree
- Qualification for broad career pathways in the media sector and other business sectors with an online application focus
- Media product management skills, particularly online media
- Leadership and teamworking skills at the interface between managers, software developers and media designers
- Basic entrepreneurial skills