The link between medical engineering and molecular biology
What is molecular medicine?
Molecular medicine deals broadly with medical issues and their molecular background.
What happens in the organism? How does the body function? What is the molecular basis of physiological processes and how do diseases develop?
The content is strongly future-oriented. The biological sciences are a rapidly growing field. Developments such as the impressive advances in External link opens in a new window:sequencing technologies and Big Data, the External link opens in a new window:CRISPR/Cas Methods for genome modification, External link opens in a new window:nanotechnologies, human-machine interactions, or External link opens in a new window:molecular imaging all contribute to this External link opens in a new window:biological revolution. The resulting applications range from analysis to diagnostics, gene therapy or cancer treatments.
Why take a bachelor's degree in Molecular and Engineering Medicine?
It is the first biological medical degree programme of its kind at German universities. With us, you will fundamental know-how necessary to work in this exciting and future-oriented field with its growing job market.
The programme is not an alternative medical degree programme or a medical degree programme without NC. You will not receive a licence to practice medicine and will not work as a doctor.
- It is about biochemical and pharmaceutical processes, about (applied) research in medicine and its neighbouring fields.
- In contrast to studying medicine at a university, the focus here is on an interdisciplinary approach, diagnostics and applied research.
- Our focus is not exclusively on External link opens in a new window:molecular medicine. In addition to the fields of natural sciences and medicine, the technical methods of both disciplines are also incorporated (e.g. External link opens in a new window:imaging).
- Fundamentals such as business administration and quality management open up a broader job market for graduates and thus very good career prospects.
In view of the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic, the contents of our study programme are highly topical. Students learn the basics of laboratory diagnostics, such as (q)PCR or antigen and antibody tests. Contents from immunology, microbiology / hygiene and statistics are also taught.
Who is the study programme suitable for?
This degree programme is suitable for anyone interested in biology (cell and molecular biology) and External link opens in a new window:biomedicine. An inclination towards the natural sciences, research and laboratory work should also be present. Since the programme is interdisciplinary, it is an advantage if you are also interested in interdisciplinary content.
You can find more details in the Internal link opens in the same window:Details of programme.
Are you interested in this study programme?
Then please use the contact form under Internal link opens in the same window:Contact us below. We will be happy to answer your questions.
If you are interested in this degree programme but do not yet have sufficient German language proficiency (C1) or the required certificate (e.g. TestDaF, DSH), you can join HFU.Prep and focus on your German language skills for one semester. For more information, please visit the External link opens in a new window:HFU.Prep programme page
If you are already studying with us:
You can find important information (also about the pre-study internship) regarding MTZ under Internal link opens in the same window:Details of programme, in the forms or on the Internal link opens in the same window:Faculty page.
- ECTS 210 ECTS
- Programme duration 7 Semesters
- Campus Schwenningen Campus
- Faculty Medical and Life Sciences
- Programme begins Winter semester (October), Summer semester (March)
- Application deadline 15 July (winter semester), 15 January (summer semester)
- Entry requirements University entrance qualification, pre-study internship
- Teaching Language German and English
- Accreditation Yes (accredited through the university system accreditation)