Two in one! - Professional qualification and bachelor's degree
Furtwangen University is expanding its healthcare programmes in keeping with the current changes in midwifery training. Midwives in training (of any gender) who take this degree, which is set up in accordance with the revised Midwifery Law which came into force on 1 January 2020, will gain both the academic theory and practical workplace skills which will qualify them as reflective specialists acting upon evidence-based knowledge.
The Midwifery Science BSc programme is offered at Furtwangen University in cooperation with the School of Midwifery of the External link opens in a new window:DAA in Lahr, the Academy for Health and Nursing Professions (Akademie für Gesundheits- und Sozialberufe) of the Schwarzwald-Baar Hospital (External link opens in a new window:Schwarzwald-Baar-Klinikum) in Villingen-Schwenningen and the Midwifery Academy South-West (External link opens in a new window:Hebammen Akademie Südwest gGmbH) in Freiburg.
Since Winter Semester 2021/22 it has been possible to gain both the Professional Midwifery Qualification and a Bachelor of Midwifery Science (BSc) at Furtwangen University in only 7 semesters. This gives our graduates the opportunity to work as a midwife both in Germany and internationally. After graduating, it is also possible to take a master's degree or to follow an academic career in research or teaching.
Good reasons for taking this degree at HFU
- Midwifery qualification and bachelor's degree: Gain the state-recognised qualification and an academic bachelor's degree in only 7 semesters.
- Income: Students are paid an appropriate income during the entire regular study period.
- Practical course: 2 internship semesters and further practical phases in regional hospitals, institutions run by midwives and working with self-employed midwives.
- Specialist teaching: Theoretical and practical teaching by experienced lecturers in an informal learning environment.
- Scientific basis: Academic study skills are taught enabling students to produce evidence-based work.
- International career opportunities: Opens career opportunities abroad as well as the possibility of an academic career up to doctorate level.
- ECTS 210 ECTS
- Programme duration 7 Semesters
- Campus Furtwangen Campus
- Faculty Health, Safety, Society
- Programme begins Winter semester (September)
- Application deadline 1 July (winter semester)
- Entry requirements University entrance qualification or healthcare assistant qualification, training contract with cooperating hospital including medical certificate, certificate of good conduct, language skills: German
- Teaching Language German
- Accreditation In preparation