The Medical Engineering - Technologies and Development Processes programme on the University Campus Tuttlingen focuses on the planning and realization of developments and approvals of surgical instruments and complex medical devices and systems, and the relevant manufacturing processes. Both engineering and medical know-how are necessary to enable you to successfully develop healthcare innovations and help people as an engineer when you graduate.
The opportunity to focus on Product und Process Management, Instruments and Devices or Digitalization and Computer-Assisted Systems from the 5th semester on gives you the chance to become a specialist. A special feature which is unique in Germany is the focus on "Regulatory Affairs" during your studies.
An internship is carried out in the 4th semester.
The areas of employment of our graduates are mainly in the research and development of medical technology products, devices and implants, in process development to design and produce medical technology products, or specialized work in the field of medical technology, such as product approval or the supervision of clinical studies. Other possible fields of work are product quality assurance, monitoring and management, marketing and sales, purchasing and material sourcing, or management/assistant management of companies or hospitals, labs and medical institutions.
The 7-semester bachelor's programme focuses on cooperation with industry. Throughout the whole study programme you will gain insights and input through visits to medical technology companies and hospitals, and through talks by specialists on the Tuttlingen Campus. A special feature of the course is the "Sectio Chirurgica" lecture, transmitted during standard operations from Tübingen and discussed together with a doctor.
The Medical Engineering programme trains you to be a specialist with practical know-how. It provides up-to-date course content and direct contact to over 100 leading companies - many in the field of medical engineering. The Tuttlingen Campus has strong links with business and industry. By getting your foot in the door early while still a student, you have the chance to secure a highly sought-after job in industry, as the chances of being hired by one of these companies after graduation are excellent.
Medical Engineering – a programme powered by industry
On the University Campus Tuttlingen you will be studying in cooperation with over 100 companies. So the medical engineering programme is workplace relevant and offers excellent perspectives:
- Introduction to medical engineering in 5 companies
- Practicals in the labs of the Faculty of Industrial Technologies and in industry
- Lecture series with experts from cooperating companies
- Mentoring by business specialists and managers
- Project work in cooperation with companies
After completing your bachelor's thesis in the 7th semester, you will be awarded the Bachelor of Science in Medical Engineering - Technologies and Development Processes (BSc).
Subject knowledge and skills
- Solid grounding in mathematics, natural sciences and engineering
- Ability to design and construct medical technology products and components using CAD programming using various production methods
- Ability to develop medical technology products applying knowledge of materials and mechanics
- Ability to plan and control medical engineering processes and devices taking human biological factors into consideration
- Goal-oriented, interdisciplinary thinking
- Ability to work independently and take responsibility
- Ability to present oneself and ones work in a confident manner
- Proficiency in foreign languages
- Decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Production of medical technology products and devices
- Research and development in medical institutions
- Quality assurance and quality control
- Application of medical devices
- Sales of medical technology solutions
- Reflective behaviour and teamworking skills
- Cost-oriented thinking and behaviour