Master complex IT challenges
Today, global companies face the challenge of controlling distributed IT infrastructures. In the Master of Computer Science programme, you will learn to master complex IT challenges. The programme is both application and research-oriented. You will deepen advanced methods of Internal link opens in the same window:Software Engineering, learn to apply practice-oriented solutions in the field of distributed systems, and implement them using scientific methods.
Are you are looking for a degree programme with good prospects? We offer you up-to-date study content with great practical relevance. Internal link opens in the same window:Our labs are excellently equipped, for example our new Internal link opens in the same window:Smart Home Lab. At an early stage, you can participate in the application-oriented projects of our Internal link opens in the same window:research groups - personal supervision in small groups is guaranteed.
The master's programme can also be taken part-time. If you are interested, please arrange for a Internal link opens in the same window:personal interview with the Dean of Studies.
Computer science in Furtwangen can look back on a 50-year success story. In Internal link opens in the same window:CHE Rankings we regularly achieve top positions. Employers also give us excellent ratings. This is confirmed by the repeatedly very good rankings of the business magazine Wirtschaftswoche.
The springboard to your career
With a master's in Computer Science you have excellent Internal link opens in the same window:opportunities in the job market. It is the ideal springboard for a career in business or the academic world.
- As a master's graduate you are well-prepared for management positions
- Our Internal link opens in the same window:industry partners confirm that our graduates have excellent practical skills when they start working
- With a master's in computer science you can command one of the highest starting salaries of €53,000 and more (Internal link opens in the same window:Faculty of Computer Science Alumni survey)
- As a highly qualified IT expert innovative career pathways are open to you
- A master's degree qualifies you for Internal link opens in the same window:doctoral studies
"Is there an army of trolls on Spiegel online?"
Behind the scenes: Dean of Studies Prof. Dr. Lothar Piepmeyer talking about a very interesting master's thesis
In the media you often see reports about fake news. This includes activities in discussion forums, conceived as tools to allow opinions to be voiced. These are allegedly systematically infiltrated by governmental and non-governmental groups in order to influence the opinion of readers. In Germany the Spiegel Online forum is very popular.
In his Computer Science master's thesis, Cedric Schweizer investigated the question of whether users of this forum are registered multiple times under different pseudonyms, in order to post numerous comments unnoticed. Cedric Schweizer employed artificial intelligence methods to qualify the comments and to categorize them automatically under the various authors in the forum. In doing so he analysed the texts of various discussion threads in the last few years on Spiegel Online.
By doing so, Cedric Schweizer was actually able to confirm duplicate identities. Sometimes only very small amounts of text were enough to use the character of the written comments as a fingerprint.
The master's thesis received the External link opens in a new window:Friends of Furtwangen University award.
- ECTS 90 ECTS
- Programme duration 3 Semesters
- Campus Furtwangen Campus
- Faculty Computer Science
- Programme begins Winter semester (October), Summer semester (March)
- Application deadline 15 July (winter semester), 15 January (summer semester)
- Entry requirements Bachelor or "Diplom" in Computer Science
- Teaching Language German
- Accreditation Yes (accredited through the university system accreditation)