Whether in smartphones, car navigation systems, online banking, medical systems or IT-based assistance systems used in our everyday lives - IT is everywhere. The huge computer system that is the internet has opened a whole new world of opportunities. It affects how we communicate with each other and makes almost all information available in a fraction of a second. In companies, too, the digital revolution is causing massive changes. Industrial and information technologies are linked in the internet of things to produce completely new structures: it is no longer humans who communicate with each other, but things.
You want to know how the software which holds this massive network together works. You'd like to develop new information systems and to put your creative ideas into action. Then the Software Engineering specialization is the right one for you. You'll learn about the process of software development as an entire system. At the same time you'll learn about modern software technologies in order to design and realize large IT systems. You'll be able to understand and control how components in complex IT systems work with each other - always keeping quality, security and usability in mind.
The bachelor programme takes 7 semesters and is clearly structured. In each semester you will take 5 modules which are generally completed with a graded assessment. The foundation level studies are completed after 2 semesters, the advanced level studies after 5 semesters. Your programme includes lectures, seminars and practicals in the area of computer science, software engineering and programming, as well as the principles of mathematics. With the specialization modules in software engineering, software architecture, open source-based software development, programming models and user interfaces you will have the basis for demanding work as a software developer. Further specializations can also be taken in the semester projects in the 4th and 6th semesters, in the internship in the 5th semester and in the 2 elective modules in the 6th and 7th semesters.
Learning outcomes - subject knowledge and skills
- Broad-based computer science training
- Techniques for drafting and producing application systems
- Applications development
- Project work and project management
Specialization Software Engineering:
- Realization and maintenance of complex software systems
- Software development technologies and development processes
Learning outcomes - transferable skills
- Foreign language proficiency
- Communication, presentation and teamworking skills
- Decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Business studies and international management
Learning outcomes - employability
- Software development
- Quality assurance
- Management of application development projects
- IT consulting
Computer Science graduates with a specialization in Software Engineering are highly sought after. Exciting work in a broad range of career areas will be open to you. Your work will involve a high level of responsibility and interdisciplinary teamwork. If you study at the Faculty of Computer Science, you will have outstanding opportunities in the job market. Salaries are excellent with starting salaries at the top end of the scale in industry. Top rankings demonstrate the enormous respect regional and international IT firms have for our graduates.
Types of work
- Software development (realization, technical management, architecture)
- Project management (organization, planning and control of software development projects)
- IT consulting (in questions of software technology and development processes)
- Software and communications industry
- Industrial sectors such as the automobile industry, medical technology, factory automation, logistics
- Trade, banking and insurance
- Administration, service companies