Distributed computer networks and web-based services are crossing country and cultural borders. Information, data and software are increasingly stored in the cloud. Yet hardly a day goes by without headlines about hacker attacks, data theft or electronic monitoring in everyday digital life. It's all the more important therefore, to place IT security in the focal point.
A particular strength of this area of specialization is that it links the design of web applications with aspects of IT security. You want to bring people together with the help of modern communication networks and give them the tools they need to work together. You enjoy developing apps and are interested in analyzing large amounts of data. If you are looking for an interesting, future-oriented field of work, then the Networks and IT Security specialization is right for you. You will learn to design and implement intelligent solutions for networked systems.
The bachelor programme takes 7 semesters and is clearly structured. In each semester you will take 5 modules which are generally completed with a graded assessment. The foundation level studies are completed after 2 semesters, the advanced level studies after 5 semesters.
Your programme is made up of lectures, seminars and practicals in the areas of computer science, software engineering and programming, as well as the principles of mathematics. The core topics of computer networks, network management, data security and IT security management prepare you well for the demands of the workplace. Further specializations can also be taken in the semester projects in the 4th and 6th semesters, in the internship in the 5th semester and in the two elective modules in the 6th and 7th semesters.
The table below shows the structure of the study programme. Click on a module in the table to open the module description. The module descriptions of the areas of specialization are listed under the table.
Die gewünschte SPO-Tabelle kann nicht dargestellt werden.
Learning outcomes - subject knowledge and skills
- Broad-based computer science training
- Techniques for drafting and producing application systems
- Applications development
- Project work and project management
Networks and IT Security specialization:
- Setting up and integration of platforms for network-based services
- Design of trustworthy communication environments
Learning outcomes - transferable skills
- Foreign language proficiency
- Communication, presentation and teamworking skills
- Decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Business studies and international management
Learning outcomes - employability skills
- Development of distributed software systems
- Management of secure networked systems
- IT security management
- IT consulting
Computer Science graduates with a strong grounding in network technologies and IT security are highly sought after by companies. Exciting work in a broad range of career areas will be open to you. Your work will involve a high level of responsibility and interdisciplinary teamwork. If you study at the Faculty of Computer Science, you will have outstanding opportunities in the job market. Salaries are excellent with starting salaries at the top end of the scale in industry. Top rankings demonstrate the enormous respect regional and international IT firms have for our graduates.
- Development of distributed software systems, networking of intelligent devices, the internet of things (realization, technical management, architecture)
- Management of secure, networked systems / IT security management
- IT consulting (in questions of network technology and IT security)
- IT firms, software companies
- Telecommunications sector, mobile phone industry
- Services such as banks, insurance companies, hospitals, government authorities and administrative offices
- Consulting firms, particularly in the area of networking and IT security
Looking back the Computer Networking programme in 2007 was the best choice for me to deal with my everyday work in digitalization, cloud computing and big data. HFU was ahead of its time even then in teaching future-oriented topics.Michael Goldschmidt, Lead Developer at doubleSlash Net-Business GmbH – our partner in the Industrial Commission, Computer Networking graduate 2007, now the Networking and IT Security specialization