International students

Welcome to HFU

Whether you are doing your degree with us or are only spending a semester with us as an exchange student, all our international students are welcome. Here you will find all the important information you need!

HFU campuses

Faculties on External link opens in a new window:Furtwangen Campus

  • Digital Media
  • Computer Science
  • Health, Safety, Society (Physiotherapy BSc in Freiburg!)
  • Business Information Systems
  • Business Administration and Engineering
  • Mechanical and Medical Engineering (only Electrical Engineering BSc and Smart Systems MSc)

Faculties on External link opens in a new window:Schwenningen Campus

  • HFU Business School
  • Mechanical and Medical Engineering
  • Medical and Life Sciences

Faculties on External link opens in a new window:Tuttlingen Campus

  • Industrial Technologies
Application - you would like to do a degree at HFU

We offer study programmes taught in German and English. Our bachelor's programmes take 7 semesters, our master's programmes take 3 semesters. All bachelor's programmes and most master's programmes are tuition-free. Non-EU citizens who come to Baden-Württemberg to take a full degree, must pay tuition fees of €1,500 per semester (in force since Winter Semester 2017/18).

More information on tuition fees for non-EU citizens and possible exemptions can be found here.

Application information for bachelor's programmes can be found here.

Application information for master's programmes can be found directly on the programme page.

Application - you would like to come to HFU for one semester as a guest student

Exchange students from partner universities:
If you are an exchange student from one of our partner universities, you must first be nominated by email by your home university.

Please inform yourself in advance about the study programme you want to take and on which campus it is offered. It is normally not possible to take courses on different campuses.

The following deadlines apply for nomination:
15th October    for an exchange semester in the summer semester
15th April         for an exchange semester in the winter semester

If you are not a student from one of our partner universities, you must first send an email with a brief application to Email application is started:incoming(at) 
Freemovers from outside the EU must pay tuition fees of €1,500 per semester.

Required languages:
German or English depending on the study programme: minimum level of CEF B1 (Common European Framework for Languages)

Application is carried out over the online portal of the International Center.
Application deadline for entry in the spring semester:   1st November
Application deadline for entry in the winter semester:   1st May
You need to upload the following documents:
1. Transcript of records
2. Motivation Letter
3. CV/Resume
4. Proof of Language proficiency in German or English
5. Recent photograph

Choice of courses:
The normal workload is 30 ECTS per semester.
1 ECTS is the equivalent of approx. 30hrs of work per semester (lectures including pre and post preparation).
The duration of a weekly contact hour (SWS) is 45 mins.
Use the filter on this page to find English-taught study programmes.
As a guest student on the Furtwangen Campus you will mostly take courses from our International Semester - a cross-faculty selection of lectures in English on the Furtwangen campus.
If your German proficiency is adequate, you can of course also take lectures in German.

The module descriptions of the individual courses can be found as follows:
1. Go to the website of a study programme.
2. Scroll all the way down and click on the green field "Details of study programme".
3. Scroll all the way down again. There you will see an overview of the modules in the different semesters.
4. Click on the desired module. Then the module description will open as a pdf.

More information can be found in our Download file:Fact Sheet.

Download file:Important information for ERASMUS students

Academic calender

The academic year at HFU has 2 semesters - a winter and a summer semester

Winter Semester:
The lectures in the winter semester normally begin on 1 October and continue until the mid-January. This is followed by a 3-week exam period which continues until mid-February. For exchange and visiting students who are taking courses from our "International Semester" programme on the Furtwangen Campus and who have to leave in December, an early exam in December can normally be organized.

Summer Semester:
The lectures in the summer semester begin mid-March and continue until the end of June. The following exam period continues until the middle to end of July.

Semester breaks:
Mid February to mid-March
End of July until the end of September

Exact dates can be found in our calender.

The two-week Orientation Programme (including intensive German course) for visiting students and students in english-taught study programmes begins 2 weeks before the start of lectures.

Practical information


The average cost of living of around €600 to €700/mth for accommodation, food and medical insurance in the Furtwangen and Schwenningen region is much lower than in large university cities. However, for visa purposes students have to submit proof of a monthly income of €861 for the duration of their stay.

The following will give you some idea of living costs:

ItemAverage Cost
Student halls of residence€250-300/mth
One-room apartment€280-350/mth
Medical insurance €80/mth
Lunch in university dining hall€2.80
Glass of beer in a pub€3.00
Milk (1l)€0.80


If you wish to study in Germany you are generally required to apply for a student visa with the relevant German diplomatic representative abroad before you arrive in Germany. (This does not apply to citizens of EU and EEA states.)

The following documents are normally required when applying for a visa:

  • a valid passport
  • letter of acceptance from the German university
  • proof of adequate financial means
  • medical insurance

Details of the documents required can be found on the internet pages of the relevant German representative office in your home country. Some countries require a blocked account with a security deposit as proof of financing.

A blocked account can be set up at the Deutsche Bank or one of the following service providers ExpatrioFintiba, or Coracle. You can also take out other insurances such as Health or Liability Insurance with these service providers. This can easily be done online from home.

The German representative office cannot issue a visa until it has received official permission from the relevant government authorities in Germany.

Nationals of the following states can apply for the necessary study visa after arrival in Germany. In this case the Foreigner Registration Authorities ("Ausländeramt") in the area or town where you will be living are responsible for issuing the document.

  • Australia
  • Israel
  • Japan
  • Canada
  • New Zealand
  • South Korea
  • USA
  • Andorra
  • Brazil
  • El Salvador
  • Honduras
  • Monaco
  • San Marino

Please note:
The visa must be issued for study purposes. A tourist visa or a so-called "Schengen Visa" is not sufficient. It is not possible to alter the type of visa after arrival in Germany.


During the first week after arriving in Germany, you will have to register at the local Residence Registration Authorities ("Einwohnermeldeamt"). This could also be in the local Citizens Registration Office ("Bürgerbüro" or "Bürgeramt"). You will need to take the following documents with you:

  • Identity card or passport (with visa if required)
  • Landlord's Confirmation ("Wohnungsgeberbestätigung")
  • Completed registration form

After registering you will receive a Confirmation of Registration ("Meldebescheinigung"). You will need this document, for example to open a bank account or to apply for your Residence Permit ("Aufenthaltserlaubnis").

Entry with visa: The visa is only valid for entry to the country. You must register within a week of arrival in Germany at your local Residence Registration Authorities. They will apply for an electronic residence document  (eAT) which will then replace your entry visa with a more permanent Residence Permit.

Entry without visa: Even if you do not require a visa to enter Germany, you must register your residency in Germany upon arrival. If you stay in Germany for longer than 3 months, you must normally apply for a Residence Permit. This does not apply for citizens of the European Union, EEA countries or Switzerland.

Residence Registration Authorities:
The following are the local government authorities responsible, depending on which HFU Campus you are studying at or where you are living:

Furtwangen (= Villingen-Schwenningen region)
Residence Registration Authorities (External link opens in a new window:Ausländeramt)
Schwarzwald-Baarkreis County Offices (Landratsamt)
Am Hoptbühl 2
78048 VS-Villingen

Schwenningen (= Town of Villingen-Schwenningen)
Residence Registration Authorities (Ausländeramt)
Municipal Offices (Stadtverwaltung) Villingen-Schwenningen
Marktplatz 1
78054 VS-Schwenningen

Tuttlingen (Town)
Residence Registration Department (Ausländerwesen)
Municipal Offices (Stadtverwaltung) Tuttlingen
Rathausstr. 1
78532 Tuttlingen

Tuttlingen (Region)
Residence Registration Authorities (Ausländeramt)
County Offices (Landratsamt) Tuttlingen
Bahnhofstr. 100
78532 Tuttlingen

Please note: if you wish a personal appointment, this must be made in advance.


You need valid medical insurance to be able to study in Germany. This law applies until the completion of a 14th semester or until the age of 30. You cannot enrol at the University without valid medical insurance.

Students from EU countries:
If you have a European health insurance card (EHIC), simply show this when you enrol.

Students from non-EU countries:
If you do not have a European Health Insurance Card, you must insure yourself with a German health insurance company. You have the choice between statutory and private medical insurance. If you are under 30 years old and do not have a European medical insurance card (EHIC), the normal choice is the statutory medical insurance in Germany.
Find out more about the German statutory medical insurance system here.
With one of following service providers ExpatrioFintiba, or Coracle you can take out the necessary health insurance online from home.
Private medical insurance from your home country can only be accepted if it offers adequate coverage for the entire duration of your study in Germany. You can apply to have this insurance recognized by a German statutory health insurance company. If your health insurance meets the coverage requirements you will receive an exemption letter which is required for enrolment.For the remainder of your study period, it is then no longer possible to change to one of the statutory medical insurance companies.
You can contact the local statutory health insurance companies to have your private insurance checked, i.e. Techniker Krankenkasse - TK  (Mr Tobias Hauser, Email: Email application is started:tobias.hauser(at) or AOK

DAAD-Scholarship holders:
You have medical insurance for the duration of your stay in Germany through a group insurance policy. This will be stated in your scholarship documents. Please bring the relevant proof of coverage with you when you enrol. Further information can be found here:

Mature students over 30:
You are generally no longer able to take advantage of the discounted rates offered by the statutory health insurance companies and have to take out private insurance.

Insurance for the period between arrival in Germany and semester begin:
We strongly recommend that you take out travel insurance for this period of time. This can also be done via the following service providers ExpatrioFintiba, or Coracle.


In Germany you are liable by law for damages you cause, for example damage to your landlord's property. This can result in very high costs, therefore private liability insurance is extremely important.

We strongly urge you to take out liability insurance, i.e. via ExpatrioFintiba

For activities carried out in connection with your study and which take place on university property, you are covered by your student services fee to Student Services Freiburg. This insurance coverage is also valid for internship semesters necessary as part of your degree.


All university students in Baden-Württemberg are insured by law against accidents which occur on the grounds of the university or on the way to and from the university. Accidents which occur in your free time outside the university grounds are covered by the student services fee paid to Student Services Freiburg. This coverage also covers holiday travel, internships and activities undertaken in connection with thesis work at foreign universities and research institutions.

Further information can be found under:


Every adult who lives in Germany and is registered as a resident is obliged by German law to pay a licence fee to finance public service broadcasting ARD, ZDF and Deutschlandradio. Further information can be found here.

Excursions and events

During the semester the International Center organizes a series of excursions and events. The excursions are primarily organized for exchange students, however other international and German students are welcome if there are enough places available.

Registration is done via LC-Online.

Click Download file:here for the current programme.

Day trips

  • Freiburg - City tour
  • Constance - City tour
  • Heidelberg - City tour and castle visit
  • Stuttgart - Mercedes Benz Museum and Hohenzollern Castle
  • Straßburg - Visit to the Christmas Market (winter semester only)

3 Day Trip to Berlin and Potsdam

  • City tour
  • Palace of Sanssouci
  • Visit to the parliament building (Reichstag)
  • Visit to the Berlin Wall museum

Typical Activities in the region

  • Hiking trip up the Furtwangen mountain "The Brend"
  • Cross-country ski tour from the Brend to the Martins Chapel
  • Cuckoo clock workshop in the German Clock Museum

International Festival
International students present their native countries with culinary specialities, dance and music. The International Festival takes place on the Furtwangen Campus in the winter semester in the auditorium and in the summer semester outside in the Robert-Gerwig Square in Furtwangen in cooperation with the town of Furtwangen. In summer an International Festival is also organized on the Schwenningen Campus by the HFU Business School.

International Recipe Book

Because it was not possible to cook and celebrate together due to the corona pandemic in Summer Semester 2020, a project group from the HFU Business School invited our international students home to cook a typical meal and present it online. This wonderful External link opens in a new window:International Recipe Book resulted from this  project. Have fun trying the recipes!

Scholarships and funding programmes

International students can apply to numerous organisations for a scholarship. 

You can find information on the various types of scholarships in the External link opens in a new window:DAAD scholarship database.
Further scholarship providers can be found here (in German) and on FELIX - General Academic Counselling pages (Zentralen Studienberatung). (in German)

STIBET Graduation Scholarship for Students

The International Center of Furtwangen University is able to award graduation scholarships within the framework of the STIBET I DAAD support programme funded by the German Federal Foreign Office. The graduation scholarship serves to promote the academic success of qualified international students who are in their graduation phase.

The scholarship holders are selected by a committee of representatives from Furtwangen University. The decisive selection criteria are academic performance and the subject-specific qualifications. There is no entitlement to a scholarship.

The short-term scholarship is usually granted for three months with a support of approximately €500 per month (depending on the funds provided by the DAAD). Scholarship holders will be informed in writing about the outcome of the selection process.

Who can apply?

HFU students

  • with foreign citizenship who have not acquired their university entrance qualification at a school in Germany or a German school abroad (Bildungsausländer)
  • who have achieved good academic results to date
  • who are about to write their Bachelor's or Master's thesis (successful completion of studies expected within one year)

Application period

1 January to 1 March

Which application documents are necessary?

  1. Download file:Application form
  2. Current certificate of enrollment
  3. Tabular curriculum vitae
  4. Copy of residency permit
  5. Download file:Letter of recommendation from an HFU professor
  6. Copy of a current employment contract, if applicable


  • Applications that are incomplete or not submitted by the deadline cannot be considered.
  • The application documents should be summarised in a PDF file and sent to the following email address Email application is started:incoming(at)
  • Applications submitted in paper form or by email cannot be processed.
  • Selected scholarship recipients are required to submit a copy of their degree certificate to the International Center upon completion of their thesis.

Contact information:
International Center
Ms Julia Hennig
Email: Email application is started:heju(at)
Tel. 07723 920 1318

Emergency financial assistance for students
(Only matriculated students may apply)

DAAD Prize for foreign students

The DAAD prize is awarded annually by Furtwangen University for outstanding performance by a foreign student. These students have gained excellent academic results and have shown outstanding social or intercultural involvement. Prize money of €1000 is awarded.

It is not possible to apply for this prize. Selection is made solely on the basis of recommendation by, and in consultation with, the university executive and the International Center. The prize-giving ceremony takes place during the First Semester Welcome in October.

      Buddy Programme

      If you wish, the International Center can arrange for a so-called buddy to help you get settled on campus. Your buddy, an HFU student, can answer all kinds of questions about everyday life at the university or life in Germany in general. He/she will help you to find your way around at HFU and in Germany.
      If you come to the HFU as a guest student, you can indicate in your application that you want to take part in the Buddy Programme. If you are doing a degree at HFU, please contact the International Center.

      When you have registered for the Buddy Programme, we will pass on your name and email address to your buddy before you arrive. You will also receive the contact details of your buddy, so you can get in touch with each other before your arrival. Once you are at the HFU, the first personal contact usually takes place at the Welcome Evening in the first or second week of lectures. Afterwards it is up to you how often you meet and what you do together. The Buddy Programme is voluntary for both parties and there are no obligations. If you get along well, it can be the beginning of a wonderful friendship! Grab the opportunity!