Mobility for Teaching Staff (STA)

ERASMUS+ funds guest lecturers at European partner universities which have a valid Erasmus Charter for Universities (ECHE). Guest lecturers will strengthen the European dimension of the guest university, expand the range of lectures offered and bring their expertise to students who cannot or do not wish to study abroad.

Where possible, common study programmes should be developed between partner universities, as well as exchange of teaching content and methods.

Personnel from foreign companies and organisation can also be invited to German universities to lecture.

Staff mobility for teaching must take place at a HFU-partner university.

Lecturing periods within Europe are between 2 days and 2 months in duration (excluding travel time); the teaching workload should be a minimum of 8 hours per foreign lecturing period or per week (begun).


Who can apply?

The following persons can be funded:

  • Professors and docents under contract to the university
  • Docents without remuneration
  • Contract lecturers with service contracts
  • Emeritus professors and retired teaching staff
  • Academic staff
  • Company staff


How long is one abroad and what does one do there?

The minimum period of stay is 2 workdays; the maximum is 60 days (2 months).

Within the period of stay mindestens 8 lecture hours must be held within 1 week (7 days) or within a shorter period of time (e.g. a 3-day stay - 8 teaching hours, 7-day stay - 8 teaching hours, 8-day stay - 16 teaching hours).

Details must be clarified in advance with the guest university and the International Center of HFU.


Do I have to be able to speak a foreign language?

In general it is possible to teach abroad in English. If you can speak the language of the country in question, so much the better. In some countries, (e.g. Hungary), it is perhaps possible to teach in German.

What are the application procedures?

The application deadline for the following academic year is always 31 July (e.g. 31.07.2019 for the coming academic year 2019/20). Late submissions can only be considered if funds are still available. Send an email right away to Ilka Günnel to check, and you will receive back the application form which you should submit to be able to participate in the programme.

Please check with your superior in advance as they must confirm their agreement in the application form. Due to the limited funds available, some applications may have to be refused.

The decision on funding is made by the International Center after the submission deadline and based on the following criteria:

  • Is there a valid ERASMUS cooperation contract with the chosen partner university?
  • Was a written application submitted using the required application form before the deadline of 31 July for the following academic year?
  • Lecturers who are applying for ERASMUS funding for the first time should be given priority.
  • Only one mobility per person and per academic year should be funded.
  • Existing ERASMUS partnerships should be strengthened.


How do I organize the stay abroad?

Simply look at the list of partner universities on the HFU website and submit the Application Form to the International Center. If you do not know anyone at the guest university personally, the International Center will inquire for you. The details with then be finalized with the guest faculty.

Travel must be arranged and paid for by the applicant. Over ERASMUS you will first receive a fixed amount of mobility funding (see below under "What expenses can be recovered?"). For insurance purposes a university Travel Expense form (without cost centre) must be completed. The guest university will provide information regarding accommodation.


What expenses can be recovered?

The amount of funding of travel and accommodation costs is calculated using the rates set by the DAAD which are adjusted according to the travel distance and the cost of living in each country of destination (see below). Together this amounts to the individual "mobility assistance".

From the academic year of 2014/2015, the following are the maximum daily rates for Germany up to and including day 14 of the period abroad, for 4 country groups.  From the 15th day until the 60th day of of the period abroad, funding is 70% of the daily rate listed below.

Destination country



180 EUR


160 EUR


140 EUR

In addition to these daily rates, travel expenses which are standard across Europe and which are calculated according to the real distances between the departure point and location of the mobility, are also reimbursed. The following maximum rates can be reimbursed:

Distance (km)

Rate for travel

10 - 99

20 EUR

100 – 499

180 EUR

500 – 1,999

275 EUR

2,000 – 2,999

360 EUR

3,000 – 3,999

530 EUR

4,000 – 7,999

820 EUR

8,000 and more

1,500 EUR

Please note: HFU reserves the right to reduce the duration of funding in relation to the length of stay, depending on the funds available. This can mean, for example, that for a total of 8 days in the guest country, only 2 days will be funded. If the actual costs exceed the maximum allowance, the additional costs must be borne by the participant themselves.

Guideline: due to lack of funds, the maximum amount of funding per participant is currently between €700-800 (for travel and accommodation costs together).


What ERASMUS formalities have to be completed?

Upon acceptance of your application by the International Center, you will be sent an Infomail with the ERASMUS Road Map and all documents listed below which must be completed and submitted by the given deadlines:

Before the stay:

  • Grant Agreement: sign before departure and submit original to IC.
  • Mobility Agreement: agree with guest university before departure and submit to IC.
  • Travel expense form: submit over IC.

After the stay:

  • Confirmation of Teaching Assignment: guest university submits original to IC.
  • Completion of digital report on stay abroad (link will be sent by email upon your return). Send confirmation email after completion of online report to IC at international-vs(at)
  • Short Feedback Report/Testimonial should be sent to IC for HFU websites.


Can I receive additional financial support if I am a single parent or have a disability?

Disabled staff or those with special needs (e.g. single mothers or fathers) can apply to the DAAD for financial support over and above the EU highest rate, at latest 2 months before travelling. This is to cover extra costs incurred by the stay abroad which are not covered by national agencies (e.g. medical insurance).

Feedback reports