Current information from HFU about the Corona virus:

Mobility for Staff (STT)

In addition to the mobility opportunities for students and teaching staff, the ERASMUS programme also offers HFU staff mobility opportunities for a period of time in other countries within Europe for training purposes.

Mobility funding is provided for training periods at a partner university with a valid ERASMUS university charter or at a European organisation which is involved in the employment sector or in the area of general and vocational education or youth work.

The exchange of expertise will strengthen skills and provide an impulse for new ideas. An ERASMUS stay abroad also serves to broaden and strengthen professional networks and to further develop HFU's long-term internationalisation strategy.


Who can apply?

All university staff can receive STT funding. The only prerequisite for funding is a standard contract of employment with HFU.

Examples of employment areas:

  • General and technical administration
  • Libraries
  • Specialist areas
  • Faculties
  • Finance
  • International Center
  • Press Office
  • Academic Counselling
  • Technology & Transfer
  • Professional Education


What can I do abroad and where can I go?

As can be seen in the introductory information of the ERASMUS staff mobility for training and professional development there are many and varied opportunities within the ERASMUS programme countries (see list of countries under "Overview ERASMUS+ Programme), for example:

  • Participation in lectures or teaching observations at ERASMUS partner universities
  • Job shadowing, for example in labs, libraries, the press office or the admissions office of ERASMUS partner universities, with exchange of ideas and experiences
  • Attending an International Staff Week (preferably at one of our partner universities)
  • Participation in language courses if necessary for daily work
  • Job shadowing in companies
  • Participation in workshops and seminars
  • Other training measures as agreed

Before departure a training programme will be agreed with the host organization to define the exact purpose and aims of your training abroad. (see below "What ERASMUS formalities have to be completed?“ - Mobility Agreement). The contact and form required are available from the International Center.


How long should the period abroad be?

The period of stay should be at least 2 days in duration. Funding can in principle be provided for a maximum of 2 months, however due to limited funds, this is in practice unlikely.

Do I have to be able to speak a foreign language?

Proficiency in English is usually sufficient. If you would rather speak German, simply take a look at our partners in Austria. Of course it is also possible to brush up your Spanish and French, too.

What are the application procedures?

The deadline for the following academic year is always 31 July (e.g. 31.07.2019 for the following academic year 2019/20). Late submissions can only be considered if funding is still available. Send an email right away to Email application is started:Brigitte Minderlein to check, and you will receive back the application form which you should submit to be able to participate in the programme.

Please check with your superior in advance as they must confirm their agreement in the application form.

Due to the limited funds available, some applications may have to be refused.

The decision on funding is made by the International Center after the submission deadline and based on the following criteria:

  • Is there a valid ERASMUS cooperation contract with the chosen partner university?
  • Was a written application submitted using the required application form before the deadline of 31 July for the following academic year?
  • Staff who are applying for ERASMUS funding for the first time should be given funding priority.
  • Only one mobility per person and per academic year should be funded.
  • Existing ERASMUS partnerships should be strengthened.


How do I organize a stay abroad?

Application at HFU
Simply check the list of HFU partner universities on this website and submit the application form to the International Center. The International Center can also help you with the choice of suitable university.

Contact with the host organization
Teaching Observation, Job Shadowing: If your application is accepted, (see under "What are the application requirements?"), the International Center will contact the university in question to find out whether teaching observation/job shadowing is possible in the required area. If so, the International Center will set up the contact between you and the partner university. The International Center will keep you informed about all other formalities and the ERASMUS mobility funding (see "What ERASMUS formalities have to be completed?") The detailed planning of the stay, you do directly with the partner university but the International Center is happy to support you if necessary.

Staff Week/Workshop/Course:
If your application is accepted and you intend to participate in a workshop or course of your own choice, or in a Staff Week recommended by the International Center, you are normally expected to apply directly to the organization in question yourself.

Organization of travel and accommodation
Travel must be arranged and paid for by the applicant. The guest university will provide information regarding accommodation and the closest airport or railway station. From ERASMUS you will receive a fixed amount of mobility funding, (see below under "What expenses can be recovered?"). For insurance purposes a university Travel Expense form (without cost centre) must be completed. Further information can be found in the Road Map which will be sent to you by the International Center before your stay abroad begins.


What expenses can be recovered?

The amount of funding of travel and accommodation costs is calculated using the rates set by the DAAD which are adjusted to the travel distance and the cost of living in each country of destination (see below). Together this amounts to the individual "mobility assistance".

The following are the maximum daily rates for Germany, up to and including day 14 of the stay, for the 4 country groups for the university year 2014/2015.  From the 15th day until the 60th day of stay, funding is 70% of the daily rate listed below.

Destination country



180 EUR


160 EUR


140 EUR

In addition to these daily rates, travel expenses which are standard across Europe and which are calculated according to the real distances between the departure point and location of the mobility, are also reimbursed. The following maximum rates can be reimbursed:

Distance (km)

Rate for travel

10 - 99

20 EUR

100 – 499

180 EUR

500 – 1,999

275 EUR

2,000 – 2,999

360 EUR

3,000 – 3,999

530 EUR

4,000 – 7,999

820 EUR

8,000 and more

1,500 EUR

Please note: HFU reserves the right to reduce the duration of funding in relation to the length of stay, regardless of the funds available. This can mean, for example, that for a total of 8 days in the guest country, only 2 days will be funded. If the actual costs exceed the maximum allowance, the additional costs must be borne by the participant themselves.

Guideline: due to lack of funds, the maximum amount of funding per participant is currently between €700-800 (for travel and accommodation costs together).


What ERASMUS formalities have to be completed?

Upon acceptance of your application by the International Center, the following documents must be completed and submitted:

Before the stay:

  • Grant Agreement: sign before departure and submit original to IC.
  • Mobility Agreement: agree with guest university before departure and submit to IC.
  • Travel expense form: submit over IC.

After the stay:

  • Confirmation of Stay: guest university submits original to IC.
  • Completion of digital report on stay abroad (link will be sent by email upon your return). Send confirmation email after completion of online report to IC at international-vs(at)


What are the advantages of an ERASMUS stay abroad?
  • Visit with planned programme
  • Exchange of professional expertise and exposure to new ideas
  • Personal skills development
  • Professional networking development


Can I receive additional financial support if I am a single parent or have a disability?

Disabled staff or those with special needs (e.g. single mothers) can apply to the DAAD for financial support over and above the EU highest rate, at latest 2 months before travelling. This is to cover extra costs incurred by the stay abroad which are not covered by national agencies (e.g. medical insurance).

Feedback reports