We will keep you updated on the current situation related to the cyber attack. Further information.

Jobs for students

HFU Job Exchange

The HFU Job Exchange is a databank in which companies can post their vacancies for internships and jobs for HFU students. Access to the databank is only possible with a university account. If you are interested in posting vacancies, please fill out this booking form.

Internal link opens in the same window:HFU Job Exchange (HFU Jobbörse)

Jobs in local companies

Many firms in the region are particularly interested in recruiting HFU graduates. These are linked on the "Jobs in local companies" page. If you would like to add the name of your company to this list, please contact the Marketing Department.

Careers fairs on campus

The Hochschulkontaktbörse careers fair is held on the Furtwangen Campus every semester. The Campus Day careers fair is held on the Schwenningen Campus once a year. Companies attend the careers fairs to introduce themselves as possible future employers.

Student assistant (Hiwi) jobs

Matriculated students can work during the semester as student or academic assistants. The HFU posts these positions on a regular basis.

Internal link opens in the same window:Hiwi Jobs

Job exchange on Student Services Freiburg service portal

Student Services Freiburg (Studierendenwerk Freiburg) has a job placement portal on its website. Students can register with their matriculation number plus ID card or passport (for foreign students additionally residence permit and work permit). After activation, the job offers are visible.

External link opens in a new window:www.swfr.de/login

General information can be found here: External link opens in a new window:Job placement - Studierendenwerk Freiburg-Schwarzwald

How much are foreign students allowed to work?

Non-EU and Non EEA students
Since August 2012 international non-EU and non-EEA students can work 120 full or 240 half days per year. No official permission from the German authorities at the Job Centre (Agentur für Arbeit) is required. If they want to work for more than 120 full or 240 half days, official permission from the Job Center and the Foreigner Registration Authorities (Ausländerbehörde) is required.

An exception to this rule is work as a research or student assistant. As long as study is not adversely affected, there is no limit to the number of hours that can be worked, however the immigration authorities must be officially informed.

Students from EU countries and the European Economic Area (EEA)
The standard rules are: EU and EEA students have the same rights as German students with no restrictions on the number of hours or type of work they can undertake. Students from Croatia however, are subject to the same 120/240 day restrictions outlined above. Students from Croatia have limited access to the labour market and require a permit from the Job Centre (Bundesagentur für Arbeit).


If you are a non-EU or non-EEA student and wish to undertake a voluntary internship in Germany, this counts as regular work even if the internship is unpaid! Every day of the internship will be subtracted from the 120 day limit. For example, if you have already worked for 120 days, a special permit from the Foreigner Registration Authorities (Ausländerbehörde) and the Job Centre (Agentur für Arbeit) is required in order to undertake a voluntary internship.

Internships which are a mandatory part of the degree programme (internship semester), do not require a permit from the Foreigner Registration Authorities or the Job Centre.

If you are not completing a degree at a German university (and are only enrolled as an exchange or guest student at HFU) but would like to undertake an internship in Germany, you must have the consent of the External link opens in a new window:International Placement Services Agency (ZAV). This must be applied for at one of the following organizations:

For further information please contact the HFU International Center.