Current information from HFU about the Corona virus:

Cooperative Trainee Programme

Frequently asked questions

In the following we have compiled a list of FAQs on the Cooperative Trainee Programme. Please note that the contractual aspects of our standard contract are only suggestions and these can be partially adapted. What is valid is what is contractually agreed upon. The answers given here refer to our standard contract.


How do I apply?

In principle the application for a study place and the application for a place on the Cooperative Trainee Programme are completely separate from each other. So you apply directly to a company for a traineeship. The application procedure is carried out entirely over the company.

How do I find a position for the Cooperative Trainee Programme?

Some of our partner companies advertise the positions on their job portals. That is the easiest way – you apply directly for this position. However, most companies expect you to make an unsolicited application. It is best to contact the company by phone beforehand.


Can I also apply for a company which is not listed here?

Yes, you can certainly approach a company which is not familiar with our Cooperative Trainee Programme. It is best to contact us right away too  – then we can send our standard contract to the company and can provide any information required.

What can I do if I can't find a suitable position?

You are welcome to approach us. We can help you look for a suitable company.

When does a contract start and finish?

We recommend that the contract starts and finishes with the respective semester start and end.

What happens if my studies take longer?

Sometimes something unexpected happens. Our standard contract is set up so that the Cooperative Trainee Programme is also automatically extended. You will be paid for a further semester, but you must of course also do an additional internship in the company.


When can a Cooperative Trainee Programme contract be set up?

In principle – depending on the programme variant wished – a contract can be signed either during the degree or before you start studying.

What happens if I have signed a contract with a company, but don't get a study place or I don't enrol?

Companies and trainees can sign a Cooperative Trainee Programme contract before studies start. Our standard contract also takes into consideration the possibility that the trainee does not enroll at the university: for the contract to come into force, the trainee must have been accepted and have enrolled at HFU in the relevant study programme.

Can I not simply sign a working student contract?

Of course a working student job is also an excellent way to gain work experience. Depending on the contract, you are then very flexible, but this has to be arranged with the company.

With the Cooperative Trainee Programme, you commit yourself to a company in the long-term. On the one hand you have the advantage that the company and the University already know each other. Our standard contract also has several other advantages:lecture and examination periods are strictly off-limits for the company – so you can concentrate fully on your studies. The internships are carried out in a block and are agreed in advance for all semesters. This way the internship periods are also planned for you in advance. You know right away that you will carry out your internship and thesis semesters in the company, so you don't have any extra work with organising that. You also benefit from having financial support every month  – regardless of whether you are currently in the company or not.

Contact details