You must apply officially to study at Furtwangen University. Applications for admission to bachelor's degree programmes are made over an online application process. This online application process is accessed over the "Application" page of every bachelor's programme.
For admission to a master's degree programme, send applications using the designated application form directly to the relevant programme director. All details can be found on the webpages of the relevant study programme.
Furtwangen University uses an online application platform for bachelor's degree applications. You can apply there for one or several study programmes.
This is how the application process works:
- Register on hochschulstart.de.
There you will receive your applicant identification number (BID) and the corresponding applicant authentication number (BAN).
- Register on the Furtwangen University application portal at https://mio.hs-furtwangen.de and enter your BID and BAN there. Part of your personal and contact data will then be automatically transferred from your registration at hochschulstart.de.
- As confirmation you will receive a welcome email with an activation code.
- Save your curriculum vitae (CV), university entrance qualification certificate, orientation test, vocational training certificate (if applicable), documents for the selection procedure and university deregistration certificate as PDF files on your PC. You will need these documents later in your application.
- Apply at our university. You will be guided through the application process by an assistant.
- You can interrupt the application process at any time and resume it later, e.g. if you need to research information. Your previous information will be retained.
- You can only edit the application and the relevant information until the point where you finally submit it by clicking on "Submit application". After that, changes can only be made after the application has been withdrawn and the application will not be processed by the university until it is resubmitted.
- You can use the "Print Control Sheet" function to check and print all of your entered data.
These dates are important
- For the Summer Semester (lectures begin in March): the application deadline was 15 January 2021.
- For the upcoming Winter Semester 2021/22 (lectures begin in October)you can apply from 26 April 2021 on.
- When the Coordination Phase starts, you may receive offer letters for your applications at any time due to the release of ranking lists and the withdrawal of other applicants. If there is more than one offer, the coordination regulations come into force.
- Coordinated Clearing Process
Study places that remain unfilled after the Coordination Phase, will be allocated in a Coordinated Clearing Process. If you have not received an offer in the Coordination Phase, you will be sent a link by hochschulstart. You have 72 hours to use this link to indicate your wish to participate in the Coordinated Clearing Process for individual study programmes for which you have applied and have not withdrawn your application.
Please save the following documents, which you will need for your online application, as PDFs on your PC:
- University entrance qualification certificate upon which the application is based
- Curriculum Vitae
- Orientation test results (see Information about Orientation Test)
- If applicable: proof of military or civilian service/voluntary service including confirmation of termination of service
- If available: proof of any completed vocational training, practical work experience, extracurricular achievements, or activities undertaken for a minimum of three months abroad
- If relevant: notification of deregistration from a prior university
- If relevant: statement or certificates in cases of special circumstances (Härtefall)
In principle it is possible to apply for a study place at Furtwangen University before starting, or during, your period of service (basic military service, civilian service, year of voluntary community service, year of voluntary environmental service, year of European voluntary service, two years of foreign aid).
If you are awarded a study place, at the end of your period of service you are entitled to receive preferential treatment as regards a place on this study programme as a result of your early acceptance. This right is intended to protect you from any stricter admission requirements. Applications under these provisions are made over hochschulstart.de.
To take advantage of your entitlement to preferential claim, at the end of your service period you must once again apply for the study programme using the online application procedure over hochschulstart.de and follow this with an online application to Furtwangen University. You must apply at latest by the 2nd application date after the end of your period of service otherwise you will lose your entitlement to preferential treatment.
Applicants with preferential rights will be admitted before all other applicants, independently of selection criteria and waiting lists.
If the number of applicants for restricted degree programmes exceeds the number of places available, Furtwangen University allocates places according to an internal allocation process.
For degree programmes where the number of applicants does not exceed the places available, every applicant meeting the entry requirements is allocated a place; in this case, there is no selection process.
After the deduction of special quota reservations:
- 90% of places are allocated by selection process
- 10% of places are allocated according to official waiting times (not applicable to International Business Management)
- 10% foreign nationals (not applicable to EU nationals)
- 5% hardship cases
- 2% applicants for a second degree
- 1% applicants with local ties of public interest
- All priority cases (withdrawal due to compulsory military/community service)
Degree programmes are generally subject to an internal selection process. Different rules apply to all internationally focused, English language degree programmes (currently International Business Management and International Business Information Systems): in their case, 50% of available places are allocated to international (non-EU) applicants and the remaining 50% to German/EU applicants.
The selection process will only include applicants who:
- have applied before the stated deadline and fulfilled all other formal requirements for application
- are not part of the allocation process on the basis of one of the quota reservations
The selection criteria include:
- Secondary school performance – German, mathematics, and best-graded advanced-level modern foreign language. For International Business Management, only English-language skills are assessed.
- The overall grade of the university entrance qualification (Abitur, Fachhochschulreife, etc.)
- Other achievements – including, for example:
- Completed vocational training in the fields of technology, computer science or business
- Practical experience in the areas of technology, computer science or business
- Extracurricular achievements, e.g. prizes and awards
- Activities abroad for a minimum of three months
"Other achievements" can only be taken into consideration in the selection process of your application if relevant documentary proof is provided.
A selection committee evaluates and ranks applicants based on the selection criteria shown above. Available places are allocated according to the order of the ranking list. There is no written test or personal interview for applications.
Furtwangen University's regulations for the internal selection process can be viewed in the Admissions Office.
The allocation procedures are based on the State University Admissions Regulations (Hochschulzulassungsverordnung, HZVO).
The offer of admission ensures the right to a university place. Applicants become students only once they have enrolled (=matriculated) at the university.
Enrolment usually takes place in:
- Early March for the summer semester
- Early September for the winter semester
The exact date will be given in the confirmation of acceptance.
Students who have received an offer must present their Application for Enrolment (Antrag auf Einschreibung) on the official university form to the Examinations Office in the Students Affairs Department within the deadline stated in their Confirmation of Acceptance (Zulassungsbescheid).
The following documents are required for enrolment:
- completed enrolment application
- copy of confirmation of acceptance (Zulassungsbescheid)
- proof of existing medical insurance
- any missing documents listed in the confirmation of acceptance
- copy of personal ID
What are the enrolment (matriculation) procedures?
Depending on the study programme, enrolment takes place in the Examinations Office/Student Administration office (Prüfungsamt/ Studierendensekretariat) on Furtwangen Campus, Schwenningen Campus or Tuttlingen Campus. These are the opening hours and addresses.
We recommend you send the enrollment documents to the relevant Examinations Office by post. Registered post is not required as the date of postage is regarded as proof that the letter was sent on time.
What fees have to be paid?
Before enrolling, you must transfer the following fees to the University account:
- Semester fees of €130 (made up of €70 Administration Fee (Verwaltungskostenbeitrag), €13 Student Union Contribution (Studierendenschaftsbeitrag) and €47 Student Services Fee (Studierendenwerksbeitrag))
- Plus, where applicable, master's programme tuition fees
- Plus, where applicable, tuition fees for international students of €1,500, or for a second course of studies, €650.
Enrolment is only possible once all required fees have been received by the enrolment deadline of the University. If the deadline is not met, enrolment is no longer possible and the Confirmation of Acceptance is no longer valid.
What happens next?
During the first week of lectures you will receive your student ID, the so-called HFU card, and the user data for your HFU account. With this you can register in the Studi-Portal where you will find the enrolment documents which you will need, for example, for applications for grants (BAföG) or for medical insurance.
Furtwangen University Examinations Office
Telephone: +49 (0)7723 920-1232 or -1233
Fax: +49 (0)7723 920-1239
Mon - Fri 9.00 - 12.00
Mon - Thu 1.30 - 3.30