You must apply officially to study at Furtwangen University. Since April 2018, applications for admission to bachelor's degree programmes are now made over an online application process (the DoSV). This online application process is accessed over the "Application" page of every bachelor's programme.
For admission to a master's degree programme, send applications using the designated application form directly to the relevant programme director. All details can be found on the webpages of the relevant study programme.
In April 2018 Furtwangen University started using the hochschulstart.de application platform ("Dialogorientiertes Serviceverfahren" DoSV), which is used throughout Germany, for applications to bachelor's degree programmes. It is possible to apply for one or more study programmes on the platform.
- Register on hochschulstart.de.
- You will receive your "Applicant ID" and an activation link to complete your registration by email. From this point on, you can register on hochschulstart.de with your user name and password.
- On the hs-furtwangen.de website, go to the "Application" sub-page of your chosen bachelor's programme.
- On this page you will find the direct link for this study programme to hochschulstart.de.
- When you click on this link, you will be asked to input your user data on hochschulstart.
- Fill out all required boxes on hochschulstart.de and print out the application form.
- Fill out the Furtwangen University checklist and add it to your application. By using the checklist, you can ensure that you do not forget any of the important documents which we need to process your application.
- Send your application by post to Furtwangen University. You will find the postal address in the checklist.
- Prioritize: if you apply for several programmes, choose your order of priority. Give your favourite, priority 1.
(Please use this checklist as the cover page for your application!)
These dates are important
- For the coming summer semester (lectures begin in March) you can apply between 15 October and 15 January.
- For the coming winter semester (lectures begin in October), you can apply between 15 April and 15 July.
- You can receive offer letters from the beginning of the "1st coordination phase" onwards, starting on 16 January for the summer semester.
- If one of these is your programme of choice, you can now accept the offer and you will be accepted by the university. IMPORTANT: from this point on you no longer take part in the application process.
- You can change the order of your applications until the end of the "decision phase" (18 February for the summer semester). The prioritization affects the further application process.
- If you have received one or more offers before the beginning of the "2nd coordination phase", which begins in the summer semester on 19 February and ends on 24 February, only the best possible offer remains. This can still be replaced by an offer which has been given a higher priority. If an offer for your first priority is already possible, you will automatically be accepted.
- If you have not had any luck by the end of the "2nd coordination phase", you will unfortunately receive a rejection.
- Study places still available will be allocated at random in two consecutive clearing processes. You can also take part in clearing even if you have not previously taken part in the coordination process. Please select the study programme on hochschulstart.de with which you would like to take part in the clearing process.
You can take part in the first clearing for the summer semester from 2 March to 6 March. The first allocations will be made on 7 March. Applications for the 2nd clearing are accepted from 24 to 29 March. The second allocations will be made on 30 March
The completed application form should be accompanied by:
- Application form from hochschulstart.de
- Application checklist from Furtwangen University
- University entrance qualification certificate upon which the application is based
- Curriculum Vitae
- One photo (for the student ID card - the HFU-Card)
- Orientation test results (see Information about Orientation Test)
- If applicable: proof of military or civilian service/voluntary service including confirmation of termination of service
- If available: proof of any completed vocational training, practical work experience, extracurricular achievements, or activities undertaken for a minimum of three months abroad
- If relevant: notification of exmatriculation from a prior university
- If relevant: statement or certificates in cases of special circumstances (Härtefall)
In principle it is possible to apply for a study place at Furtwangen University before starting, or during, your period of service (basic military service, civilian service, year of voluntary community service, year of voluntary environmental service, year of European voluntary service, two years of foreign aid).
If you are awarded a study place, at the end of your period of service you are entitled to receive preferential treatment as regards a place on this study programme as a result of your early acceptance. This right is intended to protect you from any stricter admission requirements.
To take advantage of your entitlement to preferential claim, at the end of your service period you must once again apply for the study programme using the online application procedure and follow this with a postal application to Furtwangen University. You must apply at latest by the 2nd application date after the end of your period of service otherwise you will lose your entitlement to preferential treatment.
Applicants with preferential rights will be admitted before all other applicants, independently of selection criteria and waiting lists.
If the number of applicants for restricted degree programmes exceeds the number of places available, Furtwangen University allocates places according to an internal allocation process.
For degree programmes where the number of applicants does not exceed the places available, every applicant meeting the entry requirements is allocated a place; in this case, there is no selection process.
After the deduction of special quota reservations:
- 90% of places are allocated by selection process
- 10% of places are allocated according to official waiting times (not applicable to International Business Management)
- 10% foreign nationals (not applicable to EU nationals)
- 5% hardship cases
- 2% applicants for a second degree
- 1% applicants with local ties of public interest
- All priority cases (withdrawal due to compulsory military/community service)
Degree programmes are generally subject to an internal selection process. Different rules apply to all internationally focused, English language degree programmes (currently International Business Management): in their case, 50% of available places are allocated to international (non-EU) applicants and the remaining 50% to German/EU applicants.
The selection process will only include applicants who:
- have applied before the stated deadline and fulfilled all other formal requirements for application
- are not part of the allocation process on the basis of one of the quota reservations
The selection criteria include:
- Secondary school performance – German, mathematics, and best-graded advanced-level modern foreign language. For International Business Management, only English-language skills are assessed.
- The overall grade of the university entrance qualification (Abitur, Fachhochschulreife, etc.)
- Other achievements – including, for example:
- Completed vocational training in the fields of technology, computer science or business
- Practical experience in the areas of technology, computer science or business
- Extracurricular achievements, e.g. prizes and awards
- Activities abroad for a minimum of three months
A selection committee evaluates and ranks applicants based on the selection criteria shown above. Available places are allocated according to the order of the ranking list. There is no written test or personal interview for applications.
Furtwangen University's regulations for the internal selection process can be viewed in the Admissions Office.
The allocation procedures are based on the State Regulations for the Allocation of Higher Education Places (Hochschulvergabeverordnung, HVVO).
The offer of admission ensures the right to a university place. Applicants become students only once they have enrolled (=matriculated) at the university.
Enrolment usually takes place in:
- Early March for the summer semester
- Early September for the winter semester
The exact date will be given in the confirmation of acceptance.
Students who have received an offer must present their Application for Enrolment (Antrag auf Einschreibung) on the official university form to the Student Administration/Examinations Office within the deadline stated in their Confirmation of Acceptance (Zulassungsbescheid).
The following documents are required for enrolment:
- completed enrolment application
- confirmation of acceptance (Zulassungsbescheid)
- proof of existing medical insurance
- any missing documents listed in the confirmation of acceptance
- copy of personal ID
What are the enrolment (matriculation) procedures?
We recommend that you submit the Application for Enrolment (Antrag auf Einschreibung) personally or through an authorized person to the Student Administration/Examinations Office of the University during opening hours. This way you can be sure that all necessary documents are at the University on time. Depending on the study programme, enrolment takes place in the Examinations Office/Student Administration office (Prüfungsamt/ Studierendensekretariat) on Furtwangen Campus, Schwenningen Campus or Tuttlingen Campus. These are the opening hours and addresses.
If you do not wish to, or cannot come to the University, you can send the application by registered post. Registered post is not required as the date of postage is regarded as proof that the letter was sent on time.
What fees have to be paid?
Before enrolling, you must transfer the following fees to the University account:
- Semester fees of €130 (made up of €70 Administration Fee (Verwaltungskostenbeitrag), €13 Student Union Contribution (Studierendenschaftsbeitrag) and €47 Student Services Fee (Studierendenwerksbeitrag))
- Plus, where applicable, master's programme tuition fees
- Plus, where applicable, tuition fees for international students of €1,500, or for a second course of studies, €650.
Enrolment is only possible once all required fees have been received by the enrolment deadline of the University. If the deadline is not met, enrolment is no longer possible and the Confirmation of Acceptance is no longer valid.
What happens next?
During the first week of lectures, at the Student Administration/Examinations Office you will receive your student ID, the HFU card and enrolment documents, which can be used, for example, for applications for grants (BAföG) or family allowance.
Furtwangen University Examinations Office
Telephone: +49 (0)7723 920-1232 or -1233
Fax: +49 (0)7723 920-1239
Mon - Fri 9.00 - 12.00
Mon - Thu 1.30 - 3.30