A particularly important aspect of the bachelor's and master's programmes at Furtwangen University is the strong practical orientation. Research and development projects are an important component of the degree programmes and our close cooperation with industry. During the course of the degree programme students put their theory into practice in a project for and with an industry partner.
The Faculty of Medical and Life Sciences has many contacts with firms and clinics in the region, particularly in the fields of mechanical engineering, precision engineering and medical technology. In addition it has good connections with companies in the areas of biotechnology and process engineering, also from further afield, including Freiburg, Stuttgart, Tübingen, Basel, Rhein-Neckar-Dreieck, Munich, Hamburg and Lübeck.
The examples of projects given here result from current requirements from industry and society and change regularly.
Biotechnology & Biosensors
- Continual fermentation of juices in a membrane bioreactor
- Biogas / energy conversion from leftovers
- Enzyme production, isolation and purification from yeasts
Chemical-/Thermal-/Mechanical Process Engineering
- Pollutant degradation with VUV photoreactors
- Dry milling
Mechanical Engineering and Mechatronics
- Use of robotic systems in the wood industry
- Institute of Precision Machining (KSF)
- Transport of oxygen in "artificial organs (kidneys, liver, lungs)"
- Institute for Technical Medicine (ITEM)
- Centre for Applied Simulation: CardioSim
Environment and Society
- Environmental simulation
- Environmental management
- Innovation & gender research
The Institute for Applied Research (IAF) of Furtwangen University is the central contact for all questions related to research, development and transfer.