Semester Dates & Application
Applications for the MA programmes are contuniously accepted throughout the entire year. However, it is strongly encouraged, that potential students apply as early as possible due to limited class sizes. It is recommended to apply at the latest until July 15th for a start in winter semester and until January 15th for a start in summer semester.
|Dates for the Academic Year 2017/18|
|Semester||Commencement of Classes|| Deadline |
|Winter Semester 2017/18||October 2017 (exact date to be announced)||Submission of application documents recommended until July 15th 2017|
|Summer Semester 2018|
Spring 2018 (two start dates are offered for first semester students, exact dates to be announced)
|Submission of application documents recommended until January 15th 2018|
- An online application form must be submitted. After applying online, the applicant will receive an e-mail, from the ICD indicating the application reference code and outlining the next steps of the application. Please do not send the supporting documents and/or pay the application fee until you have received this e-mail. Proceed to online application form
- All supporting documents must be received by the ICD (see list of required documents below).
- The application fee of € 70 must be paid and received by the ICD (Payment Options will be sent to you via e-mail).
Below you will find the documents required to be submitted in the application process:
- Official First Degree Diploma and Transcript: Original documents or certified hard copies of the official First Degree Diploma and Transcript from the university that awarded the undergraduate degree (and graduate degree, if applicable). If the document was issued in a different language than English or German, a certified translation in one of the two languages has to be submitted. Current undergraduate students are able to submit an application and participate in the application process by submitting a confirmation of their current studies and transcripts.
- Hard copies - For official admission, you need to submit the hard copies of either the original documents or the certified copies. You may send scans upfront and bring the hard copies of the documents with you upon arrival to Berlin towards the start of the studies.
- Certified Copies - The copies of the documents above must be certified by a Notary, Embassy or equal.
Passport and/or National ID Card Copy: A scanned copy of your passport photo identification page and/or of your National ID Card should be sent to the ICD. The information on your passport should be clearly legible.
- Motivation letter: A personal statement of at least 1, max. 2 pages (A4) explaining your motivation for undertaking the MA Program.
- Curriculum Vitae (Resumé): This should include information of your academic background (institutions attended, courses studied); your professional experience, if applicable; your hobbies and interests; any awards or scholarships received and your full contact details. The curriculum vitae should be no longer than 2 A4 pages.
- Certificate of language competencies: Certification of language competencies is required by applicants whose mother tongue is not English. If you have studied in English for at least 1 semester before or have worked abroad for at least one year in an English speaking country, a certificate which attests this fact will be sufficient. Otherwise attestation through language certificates is required; minimum level is 60 points in TOEFL (iBT) or equivalent in other relevant tests (i.e. IELTS, TOEIC).
- Essay: A writing sample of between 2-5 pages on any topic related to the fields of the program.
- Employment verification letters (only if you are applying for the fast track program and have less than 210 ECTS): Letters on the professional experience from the organization where you were positioned, including start and end dates -month and year- of the position; the framework, title and a brief description of the tasks in your position held.
Further Steps for Successful Applicants
Applicants who have successfully completed the first stage of the application and are being considered for admission to the program will be invited for an interview with a member of the faculty, which will be conducted via SKYPE or by telephone. Candidates will be individually informed about the date and time of the interview, which will be held within one/two weeks of the successful submission of the application.
Following the interview, applicants will be notified of the admission committee's decision within a period of one/two weeks.