General Questions about MSc. of Business Consulting
1. WHO SHOULD APPLY FOR BUSINESS CONSULTING MASTER (BCM)?
Our International Master of Business Consulting Programme addresses potential students and professionals who are interested in getting comprehensive know-how to bridge the gaps between business and IT.
The programme offers to prospective students an ability to learn cutting edge management and consulting skills to explore a career in the global companies. This programme is ideally suited for applicants who are looking for a career in SAP Consulting, Business Process Consulting and Strategic Consulting and other similar fields.
We provide world class learning environment through interactive teaching methods including lectures, case studies and project work.
1. WHAT KIND OF JOBS/CAREERS DOES THE BCM PROGRAMME PREPARE YOU FOR?
The BCM Programme prepares graduates to explore a career in diverse areas ranging from management to information technologies. Recent graduates chose a variety of career paths not least dependent on their previous experience and academic background. Here are just a few of the jobs open to you as a future BCM graduate:
- SAP Consultant
- Business Process Consultant
- Supply Chain Management Consultant
- Business Intelligence Consultant
- Business Analyst
- Software Engineer
- Financial Advisor
2. WHAT IS THE REPUTATION OF THE HOCHSCHULE FURTWANGEN UNIVERSITY AND THE BCM PROGRAMME?
Furtwangen University is a rapidly expanding university with more than 150 years of teaching and innovation tradition. It is situated in one of Germany’s most prosperous and efficiently run states, Baden-Württemberg. Over the last years, Furtwangen University regularly gained top places in the national university rankings conducted by CHE, Computerwoche, and Focus.
According to the recent CHE Rankings of universities and colleges in Germany, the Faculty of Business Informatics, which offers the BCM Programme at Furtwangen University, was ranked 2ndfor the quality of studying and teaching and 3rd overall among all German universities.
3. CAN I GET IN CONTACT WITH SOME PREVIOUS BCM ALUMNI?
Yes. We have a group on Xing called BCM-HFU. You can visit this group and thus contact former BCM students who are now working in numerous reputed companies around the world. Also you can find more info on our Facebook page.
4. ARE THERE SCHOLARSHIPS AVAILABLE?
Due to its excellent reputation throughout Germany, the BCM programme attracts a number of company sponsorships & scholarships e.g. from IDS Scheer AG. Obviously such spaces are strictly limited and available only for students with outstanding academic and extracurricular standing.
The university also offers a number of part-time work opportunities on projects, again these spaces are limited.
Other funding options for prospective students include DAAD scholarships for Germany.
Please find some more information and contact details for external scholarship possibilities.
Please note that you have to contact the responsible party directly if you need any further/updated info without coming back to us.
1. WHAT ARE THE SPECIAL FEATURES OF THE PROGRAMME?
The BCM Programme at Hochschule Furtwangen University is accredited by ACQUIN. It is one of the distinct and highly specialized programmes in Germany, focusing on developing business and IT competencies.
The programme prepares students for a multitude of career options in software, consulting, manufacturing and retail industry.
2. WHAT IS THE MEDIUM OF INSTRUCTION OF THE PROGRAMME?
All the Lectures are conducted in English. Students can also take part in free German language courses as electives counting towards their degree.
Additional language course are available from private suppliers (prices start from around 150 Euro depending on type of course).
3. HOW THE EXAMINATIONS ARE CONDUCTED AND THE SUBJECT MODULE IS ASSESSED?
The module assesses technical, intellectual, managerial and consulting competencies of the students. Our assessment system has the following elements:
- Individual and group assignments
- Presentations and project work
- Written and oral exams
Teaching und Learning
1. WHO WILL TEACH THE BCM?
2. DOES THE TEACHING INVOLVE PRACTICE-ORIENTED SUBJECTS AND CONSULTING PROJECTS?
The BCM teaching involves subjects on Standard Software including mySAP®, Business Intelligence/Data Warehouse, Customer Relationship Management, Supply Chain Management/Advanced Planner and Optimizer, Microsoft Dynamics, ARIS (for Business Process Management) etc. As part of the programme, students also get the opportunity to work on team projects in order to learn problem solving, business analysis and implementation experiences.
3. HOW MANY HOURS A WEEK WILL I NEED TO STUDY?
You will usually be taking 22 - 25 hours per week lectures. You can expect to spend at least the same amount of time for group work and individual study.
4. DO I GET ACCESS OF SAP AND OTHER STANDARD SOFTWARE IN UNIVERSITY CAMPUS?
We have well-equipped computer labs with mySAP®, BI, and APO installed on PCs. Our students get 24 hours lab access facility at the university campus.
Application and Admission Process
1. WHAT ARE THE ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS FOR BCM PROGRAMME?
To be considered for admission, an applicant must have:
- Bachelor’s Degree (>=70 %).
- English Language Skills [TOEFL IBT >=76 (ETS Company code 7301), IELTS Academic >= 6.0].
- Minimum work experience of 1 year in the relevant field after completing the first degree.
2. DO YOU REQUIRE GRE EXAM FOR ADMISSION?
Recommended, but not mandatory.
3. WHAT ARE THE DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR ADMISSION TO THE BCM PROGRAMME?
- Application form
- A recent photo with your name/address on the back
- Copy of passport
- Your curriculum vitae / resume
- Letter of motivation
- Academic and professional qualification certificates (certified copies)
- Academic transcripts (certified copies)
- University-entrance qualification ‘the degree that entitles the recipient to study at a university (e.g. High School Certificate)’ (certified copies)
- Job reference(s) for one or more years after 1st Degree
- Document stating English proficiency (certified copies)
- Not compulsory, but if available: Document(s) stating German proficiency
All educational certificates and transcripts should be certified by the German Embassy / Consulate.
4. WHAT UNDERGRADUATE DEGREE SUBJECT SHOULD I HAVE STUDIED TO APPLY FOR BCM PROGRAMME?
Applicants with a previous degree in the areas of Business Economics, Information Technology, Social Sciences and Engineering are encouraged to apply for the programme.
5. DO I NEED GMAT SCORE TO APPLY FOR THE PROGRAMME?
The GMAT score is not a requirement of BCM programme. The admission is competitive and we carefully select students based on many parameters not just limited to previous education background and experience, so a GMAT may be an advantage.
6. WHAT IS THE LAST DATE TO APPLY FOR BCM?
The application period is from 15th of April to 15th of October. The beginning of the course is 1st of March every year.
7. CAN I START MY MASTERS IN WINTER OR SUMMER SEMESTERS?
Our programme starts once a year in Summer Semesters only (1st of March).
8. WHEN WILL I BE NOTIFIED ABOUT MY ADMISSION (ACCEPTANCE OR REJECTION)?
Admission letters for the BCM programme are sent by regular post at the beginning of November. A scanned copy is also sent via email to speed up your visa process. So you need to provide us with any changes in your postal or email addresses. In case of urgent inquiries on the application status, please write an email to: study-bcm(at)hs-furtwangen.de
9. TO WHICH POSTAL ADDRESS SHOULD I SEND MY APPLICATION?
Hochschule Furtwangen University
Ms. Sabina Tomas - BCM
78120 Furtwangen im Schwarzwald
10. DO I NEED TO TAKE TOEFL / IELTS?
Yes. We require excellent English proficiency proved by TOEFL IBT of minimum 76 or IELTS Academic with minimum 6.0. The TOEFL ETS company code of Hochschule Furtwangen University is 7301. The test is not required for native English speakers.
You are exempted from taking the proficiency test if you have graduated from a higher education institution in an English Speaking country (i.e. Great Britain, Ireland, United States, Canada, Australia or New Zealand).
Living in Furtwangen im Schwarzwald
1. I CANNOT FIND FURTWANGEN ON THE MAP!?
Furtwangen is a small city in the black forest in the south-west of Germany. It is 50 km away from Freiburg, 100 km distance to Stuttgart (capital of the state Baden-Württemberg), 80 km to French border, 70 km to the Swiss border, and 80 km to the lake Constance.
2. HOW CAN I TRAVEL TO FURTWANGEN?
You should reach Frankfurt/Main airport (FRA) early in the morning. Then you get a train connection (http://www.bahn.com/i/view/DEU) from Frankfurt airport (Fernbahnhof) to Triberg im Schwarzwald. Probably, you have to change the train from 2 to 3 times (3 to 4 hours). Then go by Bus 7270 to Furtwangen (30 minutes) bus stop Stadtkirche (2 minutes walk to campus) or Rößleplatz (1 minute walk to campus).
3. WHAT ACCOMMODATION IS AVAILABLE IN FURTWANGEN?
90% of the students take private rooms eventually. But we strongly recommend to take a room in the student dormitory GHB (Großhausberg) or ASK for at least 1st semester (only 15 minutes walk to University). Hochschule Furtwangen University International Office offers a special package for international students.
4. HOW MUCH MONEY DO I NEED FOR DAILY LIFE?
Living in Furtwangen is cheaper than in most of the larger German university towns. You have to calculate about 670,-€/month including accommodation, living expenses, literature, transportation costs etc.
Recently, German Embassies ask for 670,-€/month * 12 months = 8040,-€ in a blocked account. From this account you can withdraw monthly 670,-€ into your current account prior to a grant of visa. For questions to Deutsche Bank international student services (db.student(at)db.com).
For your current account, we suggest you open one with Sparkasse (free student banking service, cash machines in Furtwangen) once you arrive in Furtwangen. Both accounts must be confirmed after your arrival in Germany.
5. WHAT SHOULD I DO TO GET HEALTH INSURANCE TO COVER MY MEDICAL EXPENSES?
You could get German health insurance with AOK Furtwangen (located in the immediate surroundings of HFU main entrance) when you are here in Germany for studying (this would take a day or two) – this is normally cheaper and will cover the complex legal requirements for health insurance better than most insurance you can obtain at home. However you will have to check with your German embassy if you would need travel insurance for your VISA.
1. WHOM CAN I CONTACT FOR FURTHER INFORMATION AND STUDY COUNSELING?
In case of further questions and specific queries regarding admission, please contact the BCM Programme Office by email: study-bcm(at)hs-furtwangen.de.
ASSISTANT, MASTER OF BUSINESS CONSULTING PROGRAMME, BCM
Sabina Tomas (Ms.)
Hochschule Furtwangen University
Tel. +49 7723 920-2276
Room number: I 2.07